LGA 775 Heatsink/fan recommendations.

23790954 12:23 27 Oct 2009

Having built many computers around AMD processors, I have just upgraded my system to the Intel LGA 775 processor. I am VERY disappointed in the new system consisting of MSI P45C Neo motherboard, supported by Intel 2200 dual core CPU, and 4 gig of DDR2 memory, as it has proved to be NO faster, (in fact slightly slower) than My old socket 939 system.
Being in my 70's, one thing I found difficult when building this system, was fitting the heatsink/fan, which was part of the Intel dual core processor package. Having to apply so much pressure on the lightly built heatsinl/fan, made the fitting VERY difficult. My old 939 system had a heatsink, where I just clipped the 2 clips over the cpu holder, then screwed two screws in the top of the fan to tighten it up. Very easy.
Can anyone recommend an LGA 775 heatsink fan, which is RELATIVELY easier to fit than the heatsink/fans supplied as part of the Intel processor packages.
Due to the VERY poor performance of my new system, I am contemplating fitting a more powerful CPU, but would like an easier heatsink/fan to fit, when I do.
Many thanks for all who submit their recommendations.

OTT_Buzzard 13:54 27 Oct 2009

As I'm sure you are aware, there are a number of HSF's available for 775 motherboards.

Freezer Pro's are cheap and highly effective. They use the same fitting system as the intel stock cooler. The only things i'd say is that you should *always* remove the motherboard to fit the HSF. If you do that, and clipping opposite corners on turn, then only minimal pressure should be required to clip the HSF into position.

citadel 17:18 27 Oct 2009

titan fenrir, custom pc recommened. i think you need to removr mb though.

GaT7 19:45 27 Oct 2009

Beware that the AC Freezer Pro uses the same push-pin method of securing the cooler - that's even the new Rev2 version by the looks of it - see user reviews at click here.

The Titan Fenrir appears to use the backplate + screws method so should be OK. But, it is an extra tall cooler & may not fit in your case.

A low-profile Zalman cooler may be the way to go for the best compatibility & ease of install. They are the screw-on type as well, e.g. a CNPS7500-AlCu LED click here & click here. G

jackhenry 11:07 28 Oct 2009

Hi I have just purchased a great Heat Sink for my E8400. I have used Akasa AK-961 unit and the noise level is really low.
Remember you must enter BIOS to change the settings for the CPU Fan. to achieve the right level of performance corresponding to what you use the PC for. i.e.. Performance/O/C or General use.
Hope this helps
jackhenry.

23790954 13:25 28 Oct 2009

Many thanks to you all. Your recommendations have
fulfilled my query.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

See mcbess's iconic style animated for Mercedes-Benz

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Black Friday 2017 : date, sites participants & bonnes affaires