LG GSA-4163BA SuperMulti DVD RW -Driver

freaky 11:58 06 Nov 2005

When I bought this DVD RW it came in a plain brown box with no driver.

I have a problem with it - if I leave a CD in it, then it runs continually, so have to leave it empty. It works fine otherwise.

Windows installed a driver for it, but I notice on their website click here there is a driver listed. From what I can read this driver is a replacement for the original (which I have not got).

I am concerned that if I download this driver, then it could cause damage to the drive as per their warning on their site.

Any body got and advice please?

ACOLYTE 12:03 06 Nov 2005

I think what you have found is a firmware update not a driver for the player,windows should have loaded the default driver witch is all it should need,the firmware update can add functionally to a drive,but if done wrong can make it useless.

freaky 12:12 06 Nov 2005

Yes you are correct on that, the site does in fact give a list of 'fixes'.

Thanks for the reply, I will await further posts on this topics.

SANTOS7 12:17 06 Nov 2005

I am interesteed by the statement "plain brown box"
if it is not working properly, that may be the reason it came in a "plain brown box", was it bought secondhand?

ACOLYTE 12:18 06 Nov 2005

Probably OEM thus the packaging and no software.

freaky 12:26 06 Nov 2005

Bought it new a few months ago from PCW, the packaged version was about £50. On the PCA review of this product it was priced at £32. I mentioned this to PCW and they directed me to a shelf full of brown boxes - this one was there.

I presume therefore it would be classed as OEM ?

PaulB2005 12:28 06 Nov 2005

Yes it's OEM. Bought and used many. Not just CDRW either.

interzone55 12:37 06 Nov 2005

You're lucky you got a brown box, mine just came in an anti-static bag with and IDE cable.

I find it's a fantastic drive, although it's a little picky about media.

I don't have a problem with it spinning all the time though, maybe you have a faulty drive.

PC World may have a number of faults, but customer service isn't one of them, I've never had a problem taking anything back, so get them to swap it.

SANTOS7 12:45 06 Nov 2005

It does not look like there was any customer service here "bob over there and choose a brown box" if your lucky you will get one that works!!!
I would also be interested to know how PCW can charge 50 quid for a piece of hardware (and i have looked extensively) for something that only costs between 30-35 quid anywhere else...

Stuartli 12:48 06 Nov 2005

As ACOLYTE correctly points out Windows automatically provides the CDROM driver for any drive whether CD/DVD-ROM or rewriter.

Try Removing the drive in Device Manager and rebooting.

Stuartli 12:49 06 Nov 2005

The CDROM driver advice applies equally to earlier versions of Windows, not just XP.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Intel Coffee Lake release date and specifications

12 Amazing British Craft Beer Label Designs

watchOS 4 review

Les meilleurs navigateurs internet 2017