LG EXTERNAL DVD DRIVE...WHERE AVAILABLE?

rotormota 18:35 11 Jul 2005

Does anyone know if any high street retailers stock the LG external DVD drive writers please?

The ones I am after are the multi format including RAM.

Cheers.
J

SEASHANTY 19:51 11 Jul 2005

Pixmania had one but it doesn't seem to be listed now. Why not do what I have done and place the LG GSA 4163B in a drive enclosure which has both USB2 and firewire connections. Both available from Blankdiscshop £29.97 click here
and £19-99 click here
plus postage.

SEASHANTY 19:59 11 Jul 2005

Ebuyer have the LG GSA 5163D external writer at £76 inc. vat plus carriage click here
hvd19wcm9kdWN0X292ZXJ2aWV3&product_uid=85035

SEASHANTY 20:01 11 Jul 2005

I'll give that link again click here

rotormota 20:17 11 Jul 2005

Hi & thanks. I really wanted to go & buy it from a shop in this instance. They are indeed readily available on the net.

The other thing is that PC has no more room for internal drives as I already have 2 so I must have external. I think the LG is the only one which is multi format including RAM. Currently there are no others...unless you know different?!

Just out of interest Sea, are you finding the LG up to expectations?

Cheers.
J

goffer23 23:16 11 Jul 2005

PCWorld are selling both internal and external - see link:
click here

SEASHANTY 11:20 12 Jul 2005

Yep its a good drive. I already have two of them installed in two PC's plus the one in the USB/Firewire caddy. The other PC has the Latest Panasonic DVD writer which also supports DVD-RAM. The latter came from MicroDirect. I usually find that local shops sell the drives which make them the most profit - not necessarily the drive a customer wants. Hence local shop choice is limited and they can't compete on prices of the net outlets which purchase in bulk. Take Ebuyer for instance. They have over 2000 LG GSA 4163 drives listed as in stock!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?