LG drivers needed i think for DVD player, help

sleepy01 23:12 11 Feb 2010

hi

ive got a situation where my LG CD/DVD player has suddenly stopped. It wont read aCD/DVD, device manager recognises it and informs me a driver is corrupt or missing,

I cant find the damn drivers anywhere, all i get is links to 'free' software and adverts that dont really help

The device is a HL-DT-ST DVD-RAM GSA-H55N. I would really appreciate if someone could post a link for the drivers as PC's baffle me a bit and im finding dead ends in my search.
I have original disks but with the player not reading anything i cant use them,

Perhaps its not a driver issue, but i cant determine that myself

Much appreciated, would rather try new drivers than buy a new DVD player.

THx

badhair1963 23:36 11 Feb 2010

Try this: click here

I'm not sure how safe or legitimate it is, but it's worth a try.

northumbria61 23:42 11 Feb 2010

click here

Try above LINK from LG.com Product Support

sleepy01 12:21 12 Feb 2010

Thx both but i m not able to get either to work.
The first wont let new users join the site to download at this time and the second is telling me 'no ATAPI device found' after ive downloaded.No idea what that is. Id have thought it wouldve been an easy instal.

Might be worth mentioning that in device manager on my PC under DVD/CD rom the drive has a yellow circle with black exlamation mark on it. When i look at drivers files there are 5, 4 have green ticks but the first 'C:\\WINDOWS\system32\drivers/Afc.sys has no tick and is telling me 'not digitally signed.

Any ideas
thx

sleepy01 12:25 12 Feb 2010

also,
this is the message i get when i try to use the wizard

Windows cannot load the device driver for this hardware. The driver may be corrupted or missing. (Code 39)

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 12:32 12 Feb 2010

Virtually all CDs /DVDs players and writers will use the same windows drivers. they are in the windows\system32\drivers\ or windows\system32\DRIVERS \ folder and are:-
DRIVERS\cdrom.sys

DRIVERS\imapi.sys

drivers\MxWI2k.sys

drivers\pfc.sys

DRIVERS\REDBOOK.sys

and in the windows\system32 folder

storprop.dll

try device manager update driver and install these files. to get your CD/DVD working again.

'C:\\WINDOWS\system32\drivers/Afc.sys' should NOT be there!

click here to download pfc.sys

northumbria61 12:33 12 Feb 2010

The yellow exclamation mark provides an indication of a device's current status and could mean that there is a system resource conflict, a driver issue, or any number of other things.

The yellow mark itself doesn't give you any valuable information but what it does do is confirm that a Device Manager error code has been generated. To fix whatever problem is going on, you'll need to view this code and troubleshoot accordingly.

To view the Device Manager error code that was generated for this piece of hardware, you'll need to view the device's status in Device Manager.

Also have a look at this

click here

james105051 12:47 12 Feb 2010

Afc.sys is sometimes installed by a CD\DVD burning program (sometimes Sonic or similar), have you installed any new software recently?, if so try installing it or even system restore back to a previous known good configuration.

You don't mention what OS you are using, but if it's a 64 bit version these can sometimes be very fussy regarding unsigned drivers.

sleepy01 14:15 12 Feb 2010

Many thx everyone for pointing me in the right direction.
Ive managed to solve the problem by following this guide once i knew wher the issue was stemming from.

click here

worked first time and now DVD/CD's are being read.

ty all for help :)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Evil Within 2 review-in-progress

Photoshop CC 2018 released with new Curvature Pen and better brush tools

Camera tips to take better iPhone photos

Les meilleures applications de covoiturage 2017