Lexmark print problem on Belkin wireless network

scottyc 22:18 02 Jun 2005

I cannot get my printer (connected to my desktop) to print when sending documents from my laptop. Both XP operating systems. Internet operates fine, I can share folders and printer sharing is enabled. I can see/detect the printer on the network but get failed to print messages!!!

As always any help is appreciated.

selfbuild 08:49 03 Jun 2005

Is the printer listed in Printer and Faxes on the laptop?

scottyc 21:58 03 Jun 2005

Sure is, I have it installed on both machines, I originally used a usb connection on the laptop until I purchased my 'easy to install' router.

I have renamed the printers so that I am doublly sure I am seeing them. Can see them, print from the tower, print from the laptop via a cable, just not through my ROUTER!!!!!!!!!!!

selfbuild 23:50 03 Jun 2005

That's the problem scottyc, the printer has been setup using the cable and not the network.

Connect the printer to the desktop and make sure that both are turned on.

Now, from the laptop go to Start > Printers and Faxes and click on Add a Printer > click Next > and select A network printer or a printer attached to another computer and click Next. Carry on following the Wizard and it should find the printer connected to your desktop.

If it doesn't find the printer and asks for the location, type \\scotty\lexmark (scotty being the name of the desktop if this so and lexmark being the printer name or whatever the share name is) and click Next.

scottyc 21:01 04 Jun 2005

Carried out the above, everything went 'A' okay until I attempted to print a test page. I ended up with a 'Spooler Subsystem App' error which resulted in the usual error report message etc.

I can see the printer on the laptop but cannot get a document to pass to it!!!!!

Lexmark have suggeted a little box of tricks at £130.00, which is nearly what I paid for the printer in the forst place!!

selfbuild 23:07 04 Jun 2005

Am I right in saying you now have the same printer installed twice on the laptop?

If so, remove them both and start again.... that way it will automatically default to the printer connected to the desktop.

As for the Spooler Subsystem App.... you should be able to turn it off....

selfbuild 23:08 04 Jun 2005

Oh and that's some box of tricks for £130!!!

scottyc 20:09 05 Jun 2005

Nearly there!!!!!

Uninstalled all Lexmaerk and other printer stuff from Laptop, carried out previous advice and low and behold everything goes fine, I can see the printer, i have a live connection and when i send a document to print, it appears on my desktop printer screen. The printer gives an encouraging whir as it starts then nothing!!!!! I have the same message on both computers, 'Sending to printer', unfortunately nothing ever appears.

scottyc 20:39 05 Jun 2005

We have lift off, after my last posting I removed the software from the desktop and reinstalled. Eureka, we can now print!!!!!
I appreciate your help and patience with the truly computer illiterate.....

Thanx once again.

Must go, got tonnes of remote printing to do!!!!!!

lozparry 20:40 05 Jun 2005

do you have a firewall ie zonealarm on the pcs, are the applications and each pc trusted? or try if installed, when disabled. It's just a thought!

lozparry 20:53 05 Jun 2005

As for a box of tricks I bought a usb print server for about £24 off pcnextday, works a treat and saves having the main PC on.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

See the work of famous artists playing with toys

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?