Letters i type dont always appear on screen

andy63walsh 09:04 13 Mar 2009

I had this problem before, when I type letters they do not appear, its random, reboot wont solve it tody !!!!!!!!! ee

Technotiger 09:35 13 Mar 2009

Sounds like a possible loose connection from laptop keyboard, intermittent due to laptop movement. Or could be a faulty keyboard.

andy63walsh 11:42 13 Mar 2009

Nope, tried both, all ok

awest3 11:56 13 Mar 2009

is it wireless or wired...if wireless have you tried new batteries..? if wired have you tried a different keyboard (to check if hardware or software related).

there was an similar issue some time ago when using outlook...but I think it was fixed

AL

andy63walsh 14:05 13 Mar 2009

It's a laptop, so built in, HP pavillion zd 7143ea.
It's odd, ok now, but it will happen again, as its random, def not a hardware prob.

awest3 16:51 13 Mar 2009

if its a laptop its usually the keyboard, the membrane underneath does not make good contact, and then it will all be ok for a while...might be worth cleaning if you can get at it...

andy63walsh 07:32 14 Mar 2009

it's all dusted and cleaned, still happens, ok this morning. Then it went again, now its good again !!! It must be some thing within software. Norton has not found bugs !

jack 07:48 14 Mar 2009

Keyboards/pads whether computer or remote controller or phones under the buttons is a silicone sheet with 'pimples' each with a conductive coating which when depressed closes two contacts on the board.
This silicone sheet can get 'tired' and some times 'sweaty' dismantling and a dry off and a rest usually brings it back to life.
With laptops however the problem lies with the fact they dismantle from the bottom up and the Keyboard is the last layer.

andy63walsh 07:51 14 Mar 2009

I had a look inside, can't get near the key board.
I never move it from where it is and it is random, if it was worn, wouldn't it happen all the time ?

Technotiger 08:53 14 Mar 2009

Hardware, i.e. Keyboard rather than Software, is the most likely reason for the symptoms you are experiencing.

if it was worn, wouldn't it happen all the time ? .... not necessarily.

I believe it is warning you of an eventual complete breakdown. Perhaps a replacement keyboard, or even laptop, would be the only answer.

jack 09:29 14 Mar 2009

I believe it is warning you of an eventual complete breakdown. Perhaps a replacement keyboard, or even laptop, would be the only answer
--------------------------o0o-------------------
Keep digging if the machine is on its way out as suggested- you cant break it worse and you may even get lucky.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

Awful clip art from 1994 is being tweeted every hour by a bot

iPhone X vs Samsung Galaxy Note 8

Les meilleurs navigateurs internet 2017