the lettering is faint on the screen

nonowtatall 20:12 20 Oct 2008

how do i make the lettering more readable on the moniter it seems very faint tried making screen ajustments but no joy its worse on outlook express and on other programms like my documents there must be someway of making it richer

Totally-braindead 20:38 20 Oct 2008

Assumming you have a TFT monitor and not a CRT monitor you could download and try Cleartype from Microsoft.

It depends what you mean by faint really. Many things can also affect the way text appears such as having the monitor set to the wrong resolution and it could also be a problem with the monitor. Its differcult to say what the problem is without seeing it. You could try the monitor on another PC and if its fine on another PC then you know the monitor is OK and its just some of the settings you need to alter.

Cleartype click here

mrwoowoo 20:39 20 Oct 2008

Normally you would need to alter the screen resolution,especially if your monitor is widescreen.
A start would be to make sure it's set to match the native resolution for the size of your monitor.
Could try to install or reinstall a driver for your monitor if relevant.
If using XP,you could try enabling clear type.
Click Start, click Control Panel, click Appearance and Themes, and then click Display.
2. On the Appearance tab, click Effects.
3. Click to select the Use the following method to smooth edges of screen fonts check box, and then click ClearType in the list.

nonowtatall 22:04 20 Oct 2008

tried the clear type nothing happened but now my desktop has went large size if i do a system restore will that cure it

mrwoowoo 01:17 21 Oct 2008

System restore should sort it,but altering your desktop resolution will do it as well as giving you a choice that suits your screen.
click here
If you supply your monitor size and if it's wide screen or not,someone can tell you which resolution to set it to.

northerngirl 11:47 24 Oct 2008

Hi everyone

I got a little yello triangle message stating that I needed to run the chkdsk facility. I did that, and all was going well until about 89% of the way through. It then stopped at
Convert lost chains to files <Y/N)?_

What do I do next please?

northerngirl 11:49 24 Oct 2008

I appear to have posted this in teh wrong place. Could someone delete please?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

Awful clip art from 1994 is being tweeted every hour by a bot

How to update iOS on iPhone or iPad

Les meilleures applications pour enfants 2017