A lesson to be learned..

daba 00:45 03 Sep 2008

A friend called to say her PC was running very slow, so I went and had a look armed with some useful tools, like CCleaner, SuperAntiSpyware, etc.

The PC in question is about 18 months old, and 5 people in the house all use it.

Well, CCleaner found 178 Mb of "[email protected]" to delete, and 218 registry errors, which I duly "fixed".

Then I let SuperAntiSpyware have a go, and almost unbelievably it found :-

11 memory threats,
475 registry items, and
1946 files.

I'd like to claim this as a record ?

Turns out she had NO active antivirus, NO active firewall, and had NEVER run Windows Update.

I just fixed everything I found, and guess what, the PC is now galloping along like new.

Tomorrow I will have to revisit to install A/V software, and sort out a problem that Windows (XP) Firewall won't start. As foe tonight I've left it doing SP3 update, wnd any others that it needs (might fix the Firewall issue for me).

Needless to say I have explained the importance of protecting the machime from the R.O.W.

EARLR 11:13 03 Sep 2008

to have a friend like you.
I am surprised at the lack of BSOD:
I know of a few others with similar Problems but they wont listen to me.
I will fix once after that they can pay a "Pro"

Good Luck

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 12:33 03 Sep 2008

11 memory threats,
475 registry items, and
1946 files.

I'd like to claim this as a record ?

Sorry nowhere near, have seen over three thousand files corrupted with spyware on a teenage girls PC, again no firewall. AV or antispyware.

jimv7 13:11 03 Sep 2008

I posted once with a computer that had over 75,000 various infected files, that was not a record either.

xania 14:25 03 Sep 2008

In the early days of viruses, we let an errant engineer from *** Ltd loose on our network. Sensing problems, we ran some diagnostic tests shortly after he left and printed out a list of all the infected files. Don't know how many, but we used up an entire box of continuous paper. Butr that was in the late 1980's!!

skidzy 14:38 03 Sep 2008

I cannot compete with 75,000 infected files,but have seen on more than one occassion over 5000 infected files.

Some fail to realize the importance of an Anti Virus and MS updates,this is why i created this click here

xania 15:37 03 Sep 2008

In the early days of viruses, we let an errant engineer from *** Ltd loose on our network. Sensing problems, we ran some diagnostic tests shortly after he left and printed out a list of all the infected files. Don't know how many, but we used up an entire box of continuous paper. Butr that was in the late 1980's!!

lotvic 18:20 03 Sep 2008

What! you let the errant engineer from *** Ltd loose twice? thought you'd have had enough the first time ;} (lol and chuckle)

xania 12:00 05 Sep 2008

I had just been inducted as IT Security Officer - I won't tell you what I said, but that technician got the sack!!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Hands-on: Samsung Galaxy Note 8 review

Be inspired by powerful National Theatre posters from the past 50 years

How to use the new Photos, Notes and Safari features in macOS High Sierra

Galaxy Note 8 : design, caractéristiques techniques, date de sortie