Lenovo Thinkpad Z730 setting on fire

HannahDavison 17:30 25 Apr 2014

My three year old laptop recently set on fire, with smoke pouring out and the plastic casing melting,immediately after being switched on (so it wasn't at all overheated, or had been left for long time with vents blocked etc.). The fire seems to have been isolated in a very small strip underneath where the battery is, and this approx 5cm x 0.5cm strip is where the plastic has melted. After weeks of back and forth with Lenovo customer service, I've been offered a repair, which I have to pay for as its not under warranty, and will also need to pay to get my hard drive extracted before I send it to Lenovo as it would be reset by them. So two questions:

1. Should I extract the hard drive myself so I don't loose my data (is there somewhere I can get this done for cheaper than £80 at PC World?!)
  2. As the only reason my house didn't set on fire was because of my quick reaction putting the laptop outside as I was right in front of it when it happened, burning my hand (if I had for example switched it on and then left the room for a minute, it would have almost certainly started a serious fire as it was on my desk with all my books), should I seek legal advice?

I'm completely bemused as to why Lenovo aren't taking this more seriously. I know that after 3 years I should think about replacing my laptop anyway, but this is not just a end-of-life fault, but a very dangerous malfunction.

spuds 18:31 25 Apr 2014

If I had a laptop that burst into flames, then I would most certainly be seeking further advice.

Have or did you consider doing an internet check seeing if the same or similar problem was reported previously. A further alternative could be your local fire service, who have expertise on these issues?.

Removal of the hard-drive would possibly be on a YouTube video. Or any computer shop or technician in your area should be able to help, but check prices first.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 18:38 25 Apr 2014

I've been offered a repair, which I have to pay for as its not under warranty

Effectively nothing then but they get money from you.

Sell the machine for spares, and put the repair money towards another laptop.

Think about a claim off your household insurance.

Put the HDD in a caddy, connect to a usb port on another PC / laptop, extract what you need and format it and use it as external storage for back up.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

See the work of famous artists playing with toys

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?