lenovo pc help please pci card

paulhis777 13:53 09 Mar 2014

hello all

please can someone help me i have a lenovo H330 desktop pc 2/3 years old

it has 2 x 2.0 usb ports in front i want to replace with usb 3.0 pci card is it possible

or will i have to replace ports at rear instead

also were would be the cheapest place to buy amerzon or maplins ?

also what one do i need to buy ?

thank you Paul

imendpc 00:49 13 Mar 2014

Your computer's USB 2.0 hardware is soldered onto the motherboard and the ports in the front and back are merely wires and connectors connected to this USB 2.0 hardware. USB 2.0 socket connectors are different from USB 3.0 socket conenctors by the number of connector pins. Even if you could replace the connectors with USB 3.0 which is expensive you still have an issue of finding an adapter card with headers to make use of such ports! The most cost effective and simplest is to buy a PCI-e/PCI USB 3.0 adapter card which costs about £10-£15. The USB 3.0 ports are mounted to this card on its metal plate and it comes in 2 port and 4 port models normally.

imendpc 00:57 13 Mar 2014

Your computer's USB 2.0 hardware is soldered onto the motherboard and the ports in the front and back are merely wires and connectors connected to this USB 2.0 hardware. What you need to do is to buy a PCI-e/PCI USB 3.0 adapter card which costs about £10. The USB 3.0 ports are mounted to this card which comes in 2 port and 4 port models normally.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Converse's new logo: the trainer brand looks to its heritage for a fresh identity

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment lancer Windows 10 en mode sans ├ęchec ?