Legit Xp number.

SLAYER 20:16 24 Jan 2007

I have a friends laptop a Compaq presario 700 which is in need of a reinstall.

The problem is his dog chewed his xp disk, now he did have the presence of mind to stick the COA label and product key to the laptop.

Question, can I use my disk and use his number.

Anyone know where I can get the user manual for the above. Dog again.

Mr Mistoffelees 20:29 24 Jan 2007

If your XP disk is the same version (i.e. both XP Home SP2) then you should not have a problem as he still has a valid license to install Windows on his laptop. I'm not sure about this, but if the Windows XP versions are not the same you may find the product key won't work. Someone else may have superior knowledge here.

SLAYER 20:33 24 Jan 2007

Thanks Mr Mistoffelees,as far as I can make out they are the same XP+SP2.I'll see what other responses I get, but I'm thinking I might just go for it.

johnem 20:33 24 Jan 2007

Provided the COA number is for the same version of XP as the disk that you have, it should work. Obviously when you get to the online registration and activation, you may encounter a problem, but a call to Microsoft should help to sort it out. Compaq sometimes require specific drivers which could present a problem if you do not have the factory restore disc. Try to backup the data if it is stored on the "C" drive, as all will be lost with th re-install.

Totally-braindead 20:35 24 Jan 2007

I know you can use any disk as long as the code you use is authentic but have to admit I've never tried using a different version of windows. To be honest I'm almost certain it would fail.
As long as the disk you use is the same as what the code is for ie if its Home and you use a Home CD it will work fine.

Mr Mistoffelees 20:37 24 Jan 2007

HP Compaq have drivers available for download on their website. Just enter the model name and number and you will be presented with a list of up to date drivers to download.

SLAYER 20:40 24 Jan 2007

Thanks all. I'll let you know how I get on.

Thanks again.

SLAYER.

tullie 20:54 24 Jan 2007

One suggestion is,shoot the dog!!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone