Legal xp nightmare or just simple change over

Zebrapec 21:38 02 Oct 2006

Hi,
Because my computer is 'old'(8+ years)but still working, I am having trouble upgrading and fitting everything on my 6 Gig HD.
So for my birthday my son and daughter gave me their old (but not as old as mine) broken computers, Power supply gone down on one and monitor on the other, to make one good working unit. Each one has win xp on.
I have now got a very good working system, but what I want to know is :

1. can I use one, or both of the win xp's that are on the hard drives given to me? or do I have to use my version of xp that is on my old computer, which is just an upgrade on top of win 98.
2. if i can use one of the versions, is it best to do a formatt?
Regards

terryf 21:42 02 Oct 2006

I personally would suck it and see, you presumably have a certificate of authenticity? that you can use and if the os was not an oem one, I would have thought it ok, like the 10 year old broom that has only had 3 new handles and 5 new headsbroom

Totally-braindead 21:46 02 Oct 2006

If the XP is still in use on another computer you cannot use it. If they aren't then you can. It will depend on whether the windows is OEM as terryf has mentioned or full versions. Full versions can be used on any computer but oem versions are tied to the motherboard it was originally set up on.

Zebrapec 21:51 02 Oct 2006

I have both motherboards from two seperate systems.
What is OME please?
How do I find out if it is OME or a full version please

bjh 10:33 03 Oct 2006

OEM stands for Original End Manufacturer. It means that, vaguely, the software should only be used on that computer, and no other. The computer dies, so does the right to use the software. You cannot transfer it to a big new shiny machine, and start again. However, this is not what you are doing. If you use the motherboard and hard disk from the same old machine (and ideally leave the memory, graphics card, etc in place), you should have no problems.
Swapping power supplies, monitors, etc doesn't count as a new machine.

XP has an activation process, where it checks several components to see if they have been changed. If they have, it will consider itself a "new" machine, and lock you out. You can find a complete list on the web. However, these are things like memopry, processor and motherboard, not monitor and PSU.

Others may disagree, having had different experiences, but I found Microsoft quite helpful when I phoned them to sort out an activation problem.

Simplistically, if your two broken computers had legal windows, then either one should be legal for you. What you are doing amounts to a repair, not a replacement.

bjh 10:34 03 Oct 2006

Slight correction...

OEM ~~~ Original Equipment Manufacturer is more common than "End"

Strawballs 11:28 03 Oct 2006

If you are now using your childrens old computer with a different power supply or monitor then just carry on using it with the copy of XP it came with with no problem.

Zebrapec 21:26 03 Oct 2006

Thanks all

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment regarder des séries et talk-shows américains en France ?