Legacy Audio drivers

Mysticnas 01:07 07 Oct 2004

Hi all

Just wondering, i've freshly installed XPpro and have encountered an annoying problem with sound.

Basically, i had everything working fine before, then formatted my hard drive and installed windows fresh.

The problem is that on certain sounds there's a static and crackling that was not present before.

I can't understand what it is. I have P4 XPpro (updated) Creative Audigy 2 Platinum. I've installed all the latest drivers.

I hear the cracking especially whislt the PC is doing stuff. For instance the start up and shut down tunes, and alerts such as messaging/email alerts. It's not a constant crackling, i mean i can listen to music and play games fine. But just at certain moments it crackles.

I've noticed something in device manager under the sound controller list - "Legacy Audio" and "Legacy capture device".

I can't remember seeing those before (in my old installation).

onboard audio is disable in the BIOS so windows can't be getting confused with that can it?

Can anyone think what might be causing the problem?

Diodorus Siculus 07:56 07 Oct 2004

I get this on occasion - a reboot seems to sort it out.

Maybe removing the drivers, rebooting and reinstalling will help.

Mysticnas 10:22 07 Oct 2004

what the Legacy drivers may be?

I doesn't give me an option to disable or uninstall them unless i'm in safe mode.

So i went into safe mode and uninstalled them. Went back into normal mode and didn't notice any effect of uninstalling them.

have uninstalled and reinstalled the creative drivers too, but it doesn't make a difference.

:o(

CurlyWhirly 12:09 07 Oct 2004

I hear the cracking especially whilst the PC is doing stuff. For instance the start up and shut down tunes, and alerts such as messaging/email alerts. It's not a constant crackling, i mean i can listen to music and play games fine. But just at certain moments it crackles.

I have had this crackling sound for ages and I have just learned to live with it as there is apparently NO cure!
It mostly happens when streaming video or audio on my broadband connection using either Windows Media Player ot RealPlayer.

I am wondering whether it is a 'symptom' of Creative soundcards as I used to have the original Audigy soundcard and around 6 months ago I upgraded to the Audigy 2 soundcard in an attempt to 'fix' the problem but the problem is still there!

Mysticnas 14:49 07 Oct 2004

Curly whirly: I never had this problem before, and i've had the sound card since it came out.

crx1600: already tried that but all test show everything is fine.

i've gone and caused another problem now...

I uninstalled the drivers and card completely.

and after reboot it did the usual found new hardware thing... and instead of pressing cancel and starting the creative installer, i accidently pressed auto install... which it then got the drivers off the CD, and installed the card... however, nothing else is installed just the drivers to make the card work and a lot of other windows things i've noticed like "MS echo canceler" or something to that effect

I've tried to uninstall all that lot so i could run the CD again. However after reboot it automatically installs the drivers for it (as they were copied to someplace on C drive), it doens't give me an option to cancel it, and when i run the CD install thing it says there's no Audigy Sound Card in my system!

:o(

What do i do now?

Mysticnas 14:54 07 Oct 2004

even in safemode it starts loading the drivers...

so annoying. Is there anyway that i could locate the driver files on C drive or even get it to stop automatically installing hardware???

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?