Leaving laptop pluged in

Steve Lowe 06:15 15 Feb 2008

Hello everyone
I have just bought a new dell laptop and when i am in the office i tend to leave the laptop pluged in and just disconnect when i take it out. Does it do the battery any harm to leave it like this?

Thank You

Steve

johnpalmer 08:27 15 Feb 2008

I have a Dell Laptop, which is permanently plugged in, and of course shut down when not in use.

I am not an expert, but I have experienced no problems whatsoever.

I have to say that my laptop, which is a big Dell (PC replacement type), is fairly useless on battery power alone, when the screen becomes quite dim.

It has been like this since new in 2006

AlexPB 09:23 15 Feb 2008

Hi,

I leave my laptop plugged in when im out and about and not using it. Sometimes i leave it switched on and sometimes i shut it down. I have not found that this has had any effect on the computer whatsoever.

Thanks

bjh 10:05 15 Feb 2008

It will shorten the battery life with most laptops. If used as a mains powered computer for long periods (ie week or more), it is a good idea to remove the battery.

laurie53 10:41 15 Feb 2008

I have a new Tosh, and the manual advises letting the battery run right down every so often.

Graham. 11:18 15 Feb 2008

'...it is recommended that the unused battery be discharged to 40% and placed in the refrigerator to prolong its shelf life.'

Extract from click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 hack: How secure is your Wi-Fi?

HP’s new Surface Pro rival is designed specifically for Adobe-using designers and artists

Best kids apps for iPhone & iPad

Que faire si son iPhone ou iPad est tombé dans de l'eau ?