Leaving discs in drives

crunchygranola 11:06 23 Feb 2008

Hello, I have a question about DVD drives. A friend of mine is adamant that if you leave a CD or DVD in your DVD drive when you shut down or restart, the performance of your PC will be negtively affected. We are both running Vista Home Basic and both have PCs less than a year old. I have since scoured the internet but without finding any mention of a hindrance to PC performance due to leaving discs in drives. Can anyone confirm that there is no such hindrance, even in the slightest? Thank you.

Technotiger 11:08 23 Feb 2008

Yes, there could be hindrance in some circumstances, it is not a good idea to leave DVD/CDs in drives!

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 11:11 23 Feb 2008

If I leave a blank R or RW disc in the drive my PC seems to hang on boot up, caught me out a couple of times.

Sometimes virus checkers will try to check the disk before shutting down.

crunchygranola 12:03 23 Feb 2008

Technotiger, what sort of circumstances do you mean? I know that if a disc is infected with spyware or viruses it can cause problems but what about other discs? Thanks a lot for your help.

crunchygranola 12:06 23 Feb 2008

Thanks Fruit Bat, do you know of any other circumstances where performance is affected?

Technotiger 12:18 23 Feb 2008

Are you not aware that DVD/CDs can actually explode/shatter in the drive, completely unexpectedly, but usually due to any possible physical flaw in the DVD/CD, and/or a possible electric surge making drive exceed normal speed limitations. I have never personally experienced this, but do know of at least one other who has - not a risk, however small, that I am prepared to take with my very precious PC. Hence my advice above.

How much warning do you need?

tullie 12:47 23 Feb 2008

It wont explode just sitting there,technically it can if spinning.

crunchygranola 13:18 23 Feb 2008

No I wasn't aware of the possibility of explosion/shattering - thanks!

johndrew 13:27 23 Feb 2008

At boot many PCs are set in BIOS to look at DVD/CD drives before HDDs. If you leave a disk in a drive it will spin up at boot and the PC will try to boot from it. This causes a slower boot and increases the risk of disk fragmentation.

I have seen a drive where a disk failed and be assured the drive was not recoverable. The disk was from a MS Word set and not easily replaced. The drive cost, around £30 for the drive and £80 for a new set of MS disks.

Expensive boot or is it worth the risk??

Technotiger 14:27 23 Feb 2008

Add user safety to that list, says Howard Wing, vice president of sales and marketing for Plextor. 48X writers already spin at around 9,600 RPM, and as they approach 10,000RPM, they run the risk not only of disc failures, but of discs shattering and the pieces hurtling out of the drive. "When you combine faster spin rates with disc imperfections, you bring up real user safety concerns," he says. "We've got footage of discs flying out of drives at about 200MPH."

Even the 48X drives entering the market in the third and fourth quarters of this year exhibit modifications designed to keep discs—and their users—safe. Plextor's 48X/24X/48X drive, announced in August, features both SpeedRead software that allows users to set the maximum spin rate and enclosure modifications such as a thickened base assembly designed to keep discs in the drive in the event they shatter, Wing says. Manufacturers can't prevent discs from shattering, but they can at least keep them inside the enclosure if it happens, he says.

The above is quoted from click here

Pineman100 14:48 23 Feb 2008

9,600rpm??? Blimey - I had no idea! :-0

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?