Leaving CD open after writing

briandy 14:41 27 Aug 2006

I believe this has come up before but I cannot find the answer. After using XP to copy files to a cd the cd closes and no further files can be written to it. How do I set xp to leave the cd open for further files to be written?

Graham. 15:07 27 Aug 2006

If there is free space on the CD you should be able to add more data. Are you getting an error message when you try?

Bagsey 15:17 27 Aug 2006

I dont think that the option to burn multi session Cds is available in windows XP. You will need a burning program such as Nero to do this. Unless someone knows differently.

Stuartli 15:26 27 Aug 2006

Some useful information about XP's burning facilities and its limits can be found at:

click here

click here

As Bagsey points out, using Nero or similar burning program will enable you to create multisession CD-R disks and add files etc until they are full.

But you need to Save the file name after each multisession burning otherwise you will have problems; a careful note of what is on the disk is also a good idea.

Graham. 15:31 27 Aug 2006

Open the CD to show the contents, drag and drop another file alongside the contents. It will then show as Files waiting to be written.

briandy 16:14 27 Aug 2006

Yes it does work by dragging a file but not by right clicking and choosing 'Send to', thanks for your help - all is OK now.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

50 best online Adobe XD tutorials

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment connecter un MacBook à une TV ?