Leaving AOL: is their email free to keep & use?

StephShadow 17:30 28 Dec 2008

I'm pretty sure it is, but I want to check here. I'm asking for someone who has had a '[email protected]' email for a long time - about 7 years, and has used their dial-up for that period.

They're now using Tiscali BB but are still paying for the AOL dial-up service, in the belief that they might lose their email account if they don't.

Can you please advise that the AOL email will continue once they stop paying? Thank you.

User-1229748 18:04 28 Dec 2008

i left aol 12 months ago and both my aol.com accounts are still active :o)

RobCharles1981 19:04 28 Dec 2008

You can still use AOL email although I don't use it no more.

Tiscali Broadband is even worst if you ask me there have been some bad reviews about them over on dslzoneuk website.

nosharpe 11:42 30 Dec 2008

AOL email accounts are free so even if you cancel your subscription, you don't lose the AOL email account.

StephShadow 16:48 30 Dec 2008

Thank you smackheadz, RobTheOrganGuru and nosharpe. That pretty much answers that question.

I've thought of another question:

Do you have to log-in to AOL email within a prescribed time period to keep it active? (e.g. once every 30 or 60 days)?

The person I'm asking for doesn't use the internet all the time, so they'd have to remember that, if they keep the AOL mail for important things...

thanks again for your help. If I get the answer to this last question, I can send them a link to this page and the job's done!

rdave13 18:04 30 Dec 2008

From AOL'S terms of service:

"E-mail Accounts

The following terms apply to any free email services offered by us. You must use your email account regularly to keep it active. We reserve the right to cancel any free e-mail account that is inactive for more than 30 days, and any data on a deactivated account may not be retrieved later. You are solely responsible for backing up and archiving any important email. Any premium email product may be subject to additional terms."

User-1229748 18:21 30 Dec 2008

i've been thru the aol terms and conditions and it says they can close your email account if they want to due to cancellation of your aol account so i presume they just don't bother to do so.it also says they can close the account if it is inactive for 90 days.

User-1229748 18:23 30 Dec 2008

now i'm confused :o( i'd better have another read.

User-1229748 18:27 30 Dec 2008

yes sorry i was reading the aol web services agreement so it looks like 30 days it is then :o)

rdave13 19:05 30 Dec 2008

You are right in stating that they can close your email account if you cancel your account with them but if they don't then it's 30 days.
Not very clear then.

StephShadow 19:17 30 Dec 2008

Very useful info, thank you rdave13 and smackheadz. Could be a good reason to get a gmail or hotmail account I think!

Thanks for your help.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 hack: How secure is your Wi-Fi?

Microsoft Surface Book 2 hands-on review – bigger and 5x faster

Best kids apps for iPhone & iPad

Que faire si son iPhone ou iPad est tombé dans de l'eau ?