lcd tv pc connection - please help

jamieson01 17:22 27 Dec 2006

my daughter got a goodmans lcd tv for christmas. i've connected it to the pc via the vga socket but when i boot the computer up the windows loading screen is not central(only about half of the loading screen is on display). when the desktop appears it is central, this problem i can live with but when i load up one of her games e.g. N.H.L. 2006 the screen moves over again and all the colours are weird. i have the tv set to 1024x768 60hz and the pc resolution is set to 1024x768 high colour 32bit. she thinks the computer is broken and i'm sure it's just a setting wrong. PLEASE HELP

Joe R 17:27 27 Dec 2006

jamieson01,

you could try reducing the colour to 16bit.

I believe that is the maximum for any of these sets.

jamieson01 19:54 27 Dec 2006

thanx, i had a go but there was no difference. i've noticed that if i start a game it might run in a different resolution. this is what maybe causes the problem. i've also noticed a setting on the tv called "auto sync" i tried this with difference. could it be a setting in the bios i need to change.

Stuartli 20:02 27 Dec 2006

>>could it be a setting in the bios i need to change.>>

No, it's your graphics card that's involved. The LCD and plasma sets appear to use 720x576 resolution (higher for High Definition), so lowering the graphics card's resolution could help along with the colour setting.

However any TV is no substitute for a proper computer monitor, whether CRT or TFT.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Best of the Grad Shows 2017: UAL Central Saint Martins

MacBook Pro 15-inch (2017) review

Comment connecter un MacBook à une TV ?