LCD Panel Takes Unauthorised Extended Breaks...

Z1100 14:12 19 Dec 2006

My LCD Panel has taken to going 'Black Screen' after about 5 hrs constant use. I can Switch it off then on again and get a picture for a second or two and if I leave it off for about an hour it works again for a few hours.

Now, my first reaction is over heating but to be honest it does not feel hot anywhere and it has plenty all round ventilation.

It is not the Cables or the Video Card as another (LCD) monitor accepts my best working practices and will work foe 18 hrs per day like all good monitors should. So, before I boot this one out to pasture is there anything I should consider other than taking it to a local repair shop?

Technotiger 14:21 19 Dec 2006

Hi, It could be it's power supply on the way out, can you try another psu with it.

Z1100 14:51 19 Dec 2006

It keeps power. In fact it actually looks like it has gone into Power Save Mode as the Orange light is on and it does this whilst I am actually working (usually on an image restore so I can make a mistake hehe).

A power cycle from the monitor face brings the display back for a second then it high tails it off again.

Oh, whilst I am here, Contrast Ratio; What is that, I see 400:1 through 1000:1 and If I need to buy a new one should I consider Contrast Ratio?

Hanx!
K.

Gongoozler 14:57 19 Dec 2006

Hi Z1100. The contrast ratio is a measure of how many times brighter the whitest white is compared with the blackest black, mainly affected by how much light gets through the liquid crystal when it is supposed to be black.
The display on a flat panel depends on two things, the lamp that generates the light and the liquid crystal that controls how much light gets through. When your display turns off, is the lamp still on, or is the LCD turned to black. Also does your monitor have an external power supply, or do you plug the mains cable into the back.

Technotiger 15:05 19 Dec 2006

The reason I suggested Power supply (adapter) was because I had exactly the same thing happen with my own some time ago, I took it to my local computer shop and they gave me a new power supply adapter (it was under warranty) and all has been ok ever since.

Gongoozler 15:10 19 Dec 2006

My thoughts as well Technotiger. This is clearly a heat related problem somewhere, but probably just one component so it doesn't at first appear to be overheating. It is more likely to be one component inside a module, either the PSU or the cold cathode tube driver.

Z1100 15:16 19 Dec 2006

Right, good thinking...

BUT. It plugs straight into the mains. So I guess there is no recovery there as the power will be converted inside the shell.

Maybe?

Hanx!
K.

Gongoozler 15:42 19 Dec 2006

Hi Z1100. If you can see a hint of an image on the display, but it isn't illuminated, then the problem is probably in the tube driver. If the unit is totally dead, then the problem is probably in the main power supply. Either way unless you are experienced in repairing this kind of equipment it's probably a repair shop or a new monitor.

keef66 16:11 19 Dec 2006

is it over 3 years old? Most come with a 3 year manufacturers warranty now.

Z1100 16:15 19 Dec 2006

Alas, a one year warranty and 18 months old. *sigh*

Gongoozler; When it goes black it is exactly that. Orange light on, screen black like stand-by mode. Push the power button to power off the display then power on, screen lights up briefly, like 2 seconds, then it goes back to black.

Hanx!
K.

Technotiger 16:31 19 Dec 2006

Hmmm, certainly looks like Power problem to me.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone