LCD monitors - advice please.

swayzak 17:35 23 Feb 2008

hi

I am about to upgrade my trusty old CRT monitors to LCD (3 in all).

One of my PCs has a DVI out, the other not (2 x vga, with current dual-monitor setup for digital audio workstation).

I was thinking of this model:

click here

Will an lcd monitor work with just plain old vga graphics card outputs ?

If so, what are the disadvantages of vga vs DVI out with an LCD monitor ?

If I would like to do some (modest, not hardcore) gaming on the PC with DVI out, are there still issues with LCDs (used to be that CRTs were generally better for gaming .. faster response etc.) ?

thanks

swayzak

rossgolf 17:43 23 Feb 2008

that model is fine for everythink you need

lisa02 17:47 23 Feb 2008

Will an lcd monitor work with just plain old vga graphics card outputs ?

yes

If so, what are the disadvantages of vga vs DVI out with an LCD monitor ?

DVI is much sharper, clearer and a distinct improvement over VGA. DVI is digital signal and VGA is analogue.

If I would like to do some (modest, not hardcore) gaming on the PC with DVI out, are there still issues with LCDs (used to be that CRTs were generally better for gaming .. faster response etc.) ?

Not now, no.

lisa02 17:49 23 Feb 2008

The model is absolutely fine btw, though 19 inch is small IMO.

The spec details are excellent also.

swayzak 17:49 23 Feb 2008

thanks !

Is there any specific parameter I should be aware of when planning purchase

e.g which is most important out of:

# Bit Depth: The number of colors an LCD can reproduce (color resolution). During display calibration in software, bit depth is reduced in favor of accuracy.

# Resolution: Width by height of the active viewing portion of the panel, measured in pixels.

# Brightness: The amount of light emitted by the display device.

# Black Level: The amount of light emitted by the display device when displaying black (no display device can show black perfectly, but LCDs are worse here).

# Dot Pitch: The size of one pixel on the screen.

# Primary: Red, green, or blue, each of which is combined to show various colors other than black.

# Saturation: A color's intensity (essentially, how far away it is from being neutral/gray). e.g., kites usually contain many saturated colors, unlike rocks.

# Tint: A tendency of one particular color to be more saturated.

# White: The presence of all primaries, representing the LCD's ability to show a balanced image without a tint in, or tendency toward any particular primary (red, green, or blue).

# Black: The absence of color, representing how well the LCD can block 100% of incoming backlight (transmissive/desktop LCD type).

# Grayscale: A scale containing shades of gray that the LCD can display. Max of 256 shades for a 8-bit color resolution per primary.

# Burn/Color Burn: An overabundance of a particular color in an area. For example, a grayscale gradient may be burnt with white at the end, preventing the LCD from showing lighter tones as anything except white itself.

# Image Persistence/Burn In: The residual leftover of a previously-shown image on an LCD due to that image being displayed for too long. This is similar to phosphor burn-in on CRTs. The more you use your LCD, the quicker you may have this issue when displaying images for prolonged periods of time. The best cure is to turn off the LCD for the amount of time the burnt-in image was displayed.

# Contrast: (Not the same as "contrast ratio.") The ability of an LCD to distinguish between several colors tones across the grayscale and provide details. Reduced with poor viewing angle stability, low bit depth, and bad calibration.

# Dynamic Range: The ratio of the brightest tone an LCD can display to the darkest one (often specified as "contrast ratio").

Gongoozler 17:50 23 Feb 2008

The Viewsonic monitor has analogue and digital inputs (in fact you generally have to use the analogue input for initial setup). It has a 2mS grey to grey, 5mS black to white to black response time and a 1000:1 contrast ratio. That is a superb response for just about anything you might want to throw at it. click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Converse draws on iconic heritage for a fresh brand identity

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment lancer Windows 10 en mode sans ├ęchec ?