lcd monitor blur - electrical interference???

rickd 16:37 10 Dec 2006

Can LCD monitors be distorted by other nearby electrical (unpowered) equipment? - An 2 year old viewsonic LCD monitor I sold to a mate seems to have developed slightly blurred areas (in vertical lines), which I swear weren't there before (honest!). It shows up on all types of apps, including the desktop. I suggested he moved it away from other elecrical sources - he has a massive music mixing desk, a forest of dangling wires, speakers (with large magnets) etc placed all around it and nearby. However, the monitor and PC are so fixed in place, it'll take a major effort to unwire it and dig out to move to another location to find if this is the cause, and he reckons LCDS aren't affected by such things, especially since the power to the mixing desk was off, so it must be something else.
I've updated various graphics/monitor drivers etc for him, but to no avail.
Any thoughts or similar experiences?

Totally-braindead 17:36 10 Dec 2006

I think its possible, I realise from what you've said it might not be easy to move it but it would answer the question. Obviously if it doesn't show the lines when moved then there is interference caused by something next to it.

rickd 18:04 10 Dec 2006

Yup, it seems the most obvious reason to me, but I have to admit I've never experienced a problem like this with electrical interference on an LCD myself, and googling it didn't come up with hundreds of similar symptoms. But it occurred to me afterwards that it might be the monitor cable runs next to something nasty, or perhaps he's not using the DVI cable I gave him. His point is that he needs to use the monitor right in there with all the other gubbins on the mixing desk, so it can't really be moved. I'll tell him next time I see him that it's no refund 'til he tries moving it!
Anyone know if I'm right in thinking changing refresh rates would have no effect on still images (I guess it's set to the manufacturers defaults?)

Totally-braindead 18:17 10 Dec 2006

The only other alternative I can think of is take the monitor back to yours and show him it works fine on your PC and the problem is not the monitor but something to do with his setup.

Sapins 18:49 10 Dec 2006

Try the Degauss button in the monitors menu.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Evil Within 2 review-in-progress

Photoshop CC 2018 released with new Curvature Pen and better brush tools

Camera tips to take better iPhone photos

Les meilleures applications de covoiturage 2017