Latest Zone Alarm Free edition Update

gazmix 18:35 21 Sep 2007

Hi
ok, my pc isn't the fastest by any means, infact i'm having to use dialup currently as i have no choice!

I have had ZA for ages & even before with dialup, the Updates were like 20mins max!
This recent one, after it told me there was an update & wether i wanted to download, i clicked on yes & it started, showed 4hrs 18 seconds on the download box!

Am i downloading the correct one?, it shouldn't surely be that big.
As i say, before with dialup, it was 20mins max!

Gaz

eedcam 18:43 21 Sep 2007

Downloade the update a couple of days back think it was about 5mins or something and I'm on broad band

Spark6 19:29 21 Sep 2007

Ignore the prompt from ZA, it can take an unnecessarily long time.
Update from click here

brundle 19:34 21 Sep 2007

It'll still take close to 2 hours on dial-up (40mb). Having the very latest edition of a firewall isn't as crucial as it would be if it were an anti-virus package, doubly so if you are still using dial-up.

gazmix 20:07 21 Sep 2007

Brundle, so it isn't vital i download the update?
Wouldn't my Firewal be then out of date with the latest intrusions?
I do recall not updating things last time & getting some hassle!!

brundle 20:10 21 Sep 2007

Up to you, if you feel you need it download it. Personally I wouldn't bother. ZA is overkill for dialup IMHO, something like Kerio or Comodo would do the job and are only 6-10mb to download.

gazmix 20:11 21 Sep 2007

also, would it overwrite the old version? or add on to the current version i have.

gazmix 20:17 21 Sep 2007

So if i totaly uninstalled ZA & installed one of the 2 you mention, would they do just as good a job as a firewall?

Would i be at risk whilst in the download stage!

brundle 20:32 21 Sep 2007

Download while you have ZA installed, disconnect, remove ZA, install the new firewall. I've used all three, the two alternatives are highly regarded.

ste76 00:51 22 Sep 2007

Couldn't you just shutdown ZA completely, then download something else, try it, and if you don't like it, uninstall it and turn ZA back on?

brundle 00:53 22 Sep 2007

No, bad idea to have two firewalls installed at the same time - ZA runs a service in the background that starts automatically.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone