Latest version of K-Lite

wee eddie 13:50 03 Jul 2009

I use Secunia to check that my software is up-to-date but only run scans once a month.

My latest Scan told me that K-lite and its Media Player were out of date.

So ~~~~~~ I delete what I have and clock in here to re-Download K-Lite. Click on the link in Downloads which takes me to the American version of the Magazine's page ~~~~~~~~~~ It takes me to what appears to be the K-Lite Site, I download and Install it ~~~~~~~ then I get a pop-up saying that there is a Patch available ~~~~~~~~~~~ I download the Patch which tells me that it is for the "latest" version of K-Lite "which I do not have".

Secunia also tells me that I do not have the latest version.

What do I do?

johndrew 17:03 03 Jul 2009

Did you have a problem as a result of having an `old` version of K-Lite? If not then forget it.

Just because there is (or may be) an update doesn`t mean you need it.

gazzaho 17:52 03 Jul 2009

I don't use Secunia, I presume you mean the one found at secunia.com? If so I tried the online checker and it reported my Java was out of date citing version 6 update 13 as being the latest and offering an update link, on checking Java's web site I found the latest version was version 6 update 14. Perhaps Sceunia isn't totally up to date with its recommendations, I'm not advising you not to use it but it may be a good idea to check the vendors site before downloading and applying updates to be sure you are getting the right ones.

I checked the K-Lite site click here and the latest codec pack is 4.9.5, the actual file name is klcodec495f.exe. If that's the one you downloaded then that's the latest. I myself am still using 3.9.5 without problems.

As johndrew says you don't need every update, the main ones to worry about are any updates related to the Internet, Java, Adobe reader and things of that nature as the Internet is how most malware is introduced to your system, and of course Windows updates need to be kept up to date.

wee eddie 03:47 04 Jul 2009

you nearly got it.

First I uninstalled it all.

Then.

I went to the Site advised in the Download Section here and downloaded what appeared to be the latest version of K-Lite. When I had completed the Download, there was a pop-up on the site that told me that there was was a Patch. I went to a different site, as advised, and downloaded the Patch, when a pop-up said the this Patch was for 4.9.5. and that I had Version 3.9.5.

gazzaho 08:05 04 Jul 2009

To be honest I would never follow a link from a popup for a codec. That's a favoured method for malware dispersal, although I'm not sure how effective it is now as it is well known, I'm not saying this is the case with your pop up. Some malicious sites use a popup saying "you need to download this codec to play this video" or similar and lead you to a link purporting to be a codec but with all types of nasties attached.

I tried to recreate what you did but without the links Secunia provided I'm at a loss, I searched the download section of PC Advisor for K-Lite and it led me to a PC World page click here with an automatic download for the version klcodec417f.exe which still isn't right but I didn't get a popup advising of an update.

I don't want to sound alarmist but it might be wise to run your antivirus and spyware checkers just to be on the safe side.

sunnystaines 11:24 04 Jul 2009

Got the same error with secunia too re K-Lite, just ignore it.

wee eddie 12:17 04 Jul 2009

Maybe I did not make myself clear

The Link I followed was from this site:

PCA's Download Section

And it is not to the latest version of K-Lite. That is why I posted the query here.

gazzaho 17:19 04 Jul 2009

I get what you are saying, as I also said the link from PC Answers is out of date, but again I didn't get a popup just the download.

As long as you have it sorted now then no problems. Sometimes it's better to go directly to the source for updates or drivers, as I think you've proved. Unless a site advising of updates is itself kept up to date then the information it provides is useless.

wee eddie 04:10 05 Jul 2009

I should just stick to sending a note to FE, it would save time.

Stuartli 21:26 11 Jul 2009

If you use FileHippo, MajorGeeks or Softpedia, you will always find the latest versions available virtually immediately.

There were new K-Lite Codecs Packs out yesterday, along with a codecs update for all packs.

See:

click here

Taff™ 07:16 14 Jul 2009

As Stuartli says - the latest version 5 came out on 10 July click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?