Latest release of Google Chrome

stevethetester 17:50 28 Aug 2014

hi, upgrade google chrome to the latest version (37) and found it slower than before; took it off and installed the 64 bit version-all ok. However, this still feels quite a lot slower than the previous 36 version. Has anyone else noticed this as well? Look forward to your observations, Steve

rdave13 18:17 28 Aug 2014

Try Pale Moon or the old fashioned Firefox. Never liked the UI on Chrome from the beginning. Something doesn't seem right to me with that browser, though, I can't pinpoint anything. No help I know, just an observation of my humble opinion. Maybe they're getting to be in a place that IE has to contend with and that security is paramount and thus affects the browser's ability? I don't know, just guessing.

stevethetester 18:39 28 Aug 2014

Thanks rdave13, I use Firefox as well mainly for downloading stuff with the download helper add-on; my broadband speed is slow and because chrome has always been a lot "snappier" than Firefox in the past I have been using it for the last couple of years or so. On an interface and enjoyment of use level (if you know what I mean!!) Firefox beats all hands down; it's just so slow by comparison on my system. In fact IE11 feels the fastest on my system at the moment -it's just the adverts etc (even using blocking software) that stop me using this more.... I suppose it's all subjective; those of us blessed with fast broadband won't notice much difference but those of us with rubbish speeds try to use the fastest available at the expense of ease of use/security etc etc. Thanks!!!

rdave13 19:00 28 Aug 2014

With IE, today, you don't need an ad blocker. Slows it down again. Install free version of Spywareblaster. You'll need to update and enable protection manually with the freebie. Worth a look. Check what add-ons you need and disable the one's not required. If you use Avast as an AV then disable the web protection as they've still not got it right. Getting there, though.

sunnystaines 08:12 29 Aug 2014

another minor chrome update today does that help.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 11:09 29 Aug 2014

My Chrome has just updated doesn't appear to be any different speed wise.

stevethetester 17:28 29 Aug 2014

just updated mine and can't see any real difference either.I don't use ad blocker with IE11,I rely on the Kaspersky Internet Security 2015 plug-ins but even with this some of the flash videos and ad's still show.I suppose this will get sorted out at some point!

john bunyan 18:04 29 Aug 2014

I use IE 11 with Spywareblaster as rdave13 suggests and with the Google toolbar - no problems with pop ups or ads. Using free Avast plus pro Malawarebytes for web protection .

rdave13 20:16 29 Aug 2014

stevethetester , tried Kaspersky for free via my Bank. Worse than modern day Norton in my humble opinion. How your PC performs with such software I dread to think.

If you're happy with lag then that's fair enough.

rdave13 20:23 29 Aug 2014

john bunyan , if you don't use Chrome then in my humble opinion get rid of Google toolbar and in programs and features look for google updater.

Get rid of that also. Always 'phoning home' these sly programs and informing of your search history so you get spam on sites, let alone your email pages.

Love the Google search engine and Gmail but the rest should be avoided I suggest.

john bunyan 20:36 29 Aug 2014

rdave13

Thanks. Don't have Google updater. On my laptop using Avira , Desktop Avast. Thought Google toolbar blocks cookies?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?