Latest Firefox and MS LiveCam

Chris the Ancient 12:12 20 Jul 2007

In case it happens to anyone else...

I downloaded the latest release of Firefox yesterday and later found that my MS LifeCam was not working. The system deemed that the camera was not plugged in or didn't exist!

Reloaded all the LiveCam software, still didn't work. Carefully removed all LiveCam software and ran RegSeeker, then reloaded. Still didn't work.

Restored to before the Firefox and all is OK.

Just a warning in case you get the same symptoms.

CtA

Stuartli 12:26 20 Jul 2007

Fortunately my webcam continues to function OK with Firefox 2.0.0.5.

know-nothing 13:56 20 Jul 2007

I do not use Firefox and have no new programs or upgrades

know-nothing 13:58 20 Jul 2007

also the web camera shows that it is live andis pluged in and running

Stuartli 14:42 20 Jul 2007

So why bother posting these two comments?

Stuartli 14:45 20 Jul 2007

I've heard of someone updating Firefox to 2.0.0.5 then having compatability problems with Java 1.6.0.1 - it requires Java to be updated to 1.6.0.2.

Chris the Ancient 14:46 20 Jul 2007

I referred know-nothing to this thread in one of his.

Interesting that yours still works ok though! Mine worked right up until the download, then didn't. And despite all me reloads, the only thing that did it was a system restore. Maybe a different version of software? I'm running on v1.21.113.0.

Chris the Ancient 14:54 20 Jul 2007

Crossed mails in the ether!

I'm not sure which version I'm on with Java. When I downloaded the new Firefox, it said it was looking for a new Java - but it couldn't be downloaded because of compatibility problems.

Stuartli 15:00 20 Jul 2007

That was exactly the problem I heard about Java and Firefox 2.0.0.5 - the latest Java version is at:

click here

I would suggest you uninstall your current Java setup from Add/Remove Programs and then install the updated version.

I have a Trust webcam which uses drivers and software common to a number of webcam models from various manufacturers (some of Trust's products are rebadged).

Chris the Ancient 15:06 20 Jul 2007

I'll try that over the weekend when I have a little more time, then reload the new Firefox...

Sit back...

Wait...

And if all else fails, restore again ;-)

CtA

Chris the Ancient 15:11 20 Jul 2007

I give in!!

Firefox sneakily updated to 2.0.0.5 while I wasn't looking.

And the darned camera works this time! }o|

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone