Last Known Good Configuration

Graphicool1 16:02 27 Feb 2011

WinXP SP3

Starting yesterday morning, then again this morning, when I tried to boot my PC, it got as far as the 'Welcome' screen and no further. When I rebooted, I selected... 'Last Known Good Configuration' and it started and performs just fine. I then make a 'System Restore Point' and reboot on it and again it starts just fine.

But when I shut it down and did a fresh boot, once again it would only start on a 'Last Known Good Configuration'?

So I just checked in 'Event Viewer' and in 'Services' this message had a red dot with an 'X'...

Details

Product: Windows Operating System

ID: 29

Source: W32Time

Version: 5.2

Symbolic Name: MSG_NO_NTP_PEERS_BUT_PENDING

The time provider NtpClient is configured to acquire time from one or more time sources, however none of the sources are currently accessible. No attempt to contact a source will be made for %1 minutes. NtpClient has no source of accurate time.

Explanation:
The Windows Time Service cannot synchronize time with its time sources. Windows Time Service will attempt synchronization at a later time.

The W32time 29 message is usually caused by connectivity issues between a client and its source. In some cases, the source computer is unavailable; it may be restarting, disconnected from the network, or unreachable because of firewall or router configurations. If the W32time 29 condition persists, you should immediately troubleshoot the issue to ensure that successful synchronization can resume.

User Action
To ensure that the system can connect to the source, do one or more of the following:

Verify that the local computer is capable of contacting the desired source. In most cases, a simple connectivity test such as “ping” is adequate.
Confirm that Windows Time Service (or other NTP Time Service) is running and available on the source system.
If you are using a manually configured peer, such as time.windows.com, verify that the name is typed correctly and that the system is available.
Confirm that there are no network devices that block traffic on port 123 between the local computer and the time source.
W32time 29 is not a critical message when logged occasionally. It indicates that the system is unable to synchronize, which can present a problem if the condition persists. Always monitor the system after this message appears to ensure that synchronization resumes successfully.

So I right clicked the clock on the 'Task Bar', chose 'Adjust Date/Time'. Clicked the 'Internet Time' button. Clicked the box 'Automatically synchronize with an Internet time server'. Clicked the down arrow for the server slot. I was given two choices 'Windows Time Service' and 'time.nist.gov'. Being as the message had said that Windows Time Service' couldn't connect yet I Selected 'time.nist.gov', then 'Apply' 'OK'.
It said...
'The time has been successfully synchronized'

I made another 'System Restore Point', I then turned my PC completely off, then I booted from scratch. It was the quickest boot I've ever known!

The thing is and the reason I'm writing this, it went through the usual boot sequence. Except for one glaring detail. It missed out the screen that has 'Windows, and the logo and says...
'Windows is now starting'.
It just jumped straight to the screen that says 'Welcome' then straight to the desktop without lingering! Anyone any idea why?

Not that I'm complaining you understand. I just hope it does it every time from now on.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 19:56 27 Feb 2011

Sounds more like a "wake from hibernate" than a full reboot.

woodchip 21:13 27 Feb 2011

Why not turn it off! Disable it in MSCONFIG

Graphicool1 10:06 28 Feb 2011

I don't use hibernation, in fact I have it turned off.

woodchip:
Disable what in MSCONFIG? & why?

Since this happened I have been doing the following...
'Scan for and attempt to recover bad sectors'
The first scan took 15 hours.
The second took approx 11 hours.

I say approx because I do the scans over night. Getting up from time to time to check the progress. It had already stopped when I did the last check. So I deduced, from the last time I'd looked, it had taken 11 hours. I shall keep doing it until it completes really quick?

Anyone know approx how long it should take on a PC without bad sectors.

It is now starting normally, but still without the screen that says...'Windows is now starting'?

woodchip 10:57 28 Feb 2011

It looks like you have a program that runs to keep clock in sink. and it cannot find the server.

Explanation:
The Windows Time Service cannot synchronize time with its time sources. Windows Time Service will attempt synchronization at a later time.

This can be stopped But do not know what OS you are running

Graphicool1 11:47 28 Feb 2011

Since I re the clock, the only Error message I've encountered is as follows...

Details:

Product: Windows Operating System

ID: 7034

Source: Service Control Manager

Version: 5.2

Symbolic Name: EVENT_SERVICE_CRASH_NO_ACTION

The %1 service terminated unexpectedly. It has done this %2 time(s).

Explanation:
The specified service could not continue. This service is configured to report the number of failures and, after a specific number of failures are reported, the Service Control Manager will perform the recovery action configured for the specified service.

User Action:
For information that can help you identify possible causes for this error, view the WIN32_EXIT_CODE error that SCM encountered. To view the error, at the command prompt, type...

sc query (service name)

The service in question seems to be...

NVIDIA Display Driver Service

The trouble here is, that 'Driver Finder' software programmes have been telling me for some time that I need to update the NVIDIA driver. But when I go to NVIDIA and it checks my system, it tells me I have the latest drivers!

Graphicool1 14:29 28 Feb 2011

I've just run DriverMax and Device Doctor, to see what driver I need and what's available...

My current Nvidia Display Driver is 6.14.10.9371

Device doctor says I need...
Nvidia_Chipset_Raid_v6533

DriverMax thinks I need...
Nvidia 6.14.10.9371
(same as the one I already have)
Or
Nvidia: 6.14.11.6921
(Not digitally signed)

I don't know which, if any, to chose?

woodchip 17:10 28 Feb 2011

The bottom one, if its not as you want you can roll back driver in Safe Mode

Graphicool1 09:46 01 Mar 2011

This has happened to me with about 50% of the 'Unsigned Drivers' I've downloaded from DriverMax. Started to install it and my PC went balistic with everything happening. Although I didn't hear or see them, I wouldn't be surprised if there were flashing lights and sirens! It was tell me that the unsigned diver contained a bug. It then said it was closing down my PC to protect it. Blue screens, white writing the lot. Then, on reboot it told me it thought that my C: drive might be unstable and would have to run a chkdsk. Which after completion, it rebooted and I did a 'system Restore' to before I downloaded the trouble maker. You can probably see why I am always reluctant to use DriverMax. If you've ever or never used them, read the comments from other users ~ I'm not the only one to draw the short straw.

Graphicool1 09:56 01 Mar 2011

Since the incident above, ie last night. Our electric cooker malfunctioned causing a black out. At the same time as my PC was running a...

'Scan for and attempt recovery of bad sectors'

There are now more black screen pauses on boot, than there were before. Technology is the bain of my life.

Graphicool1 12:00 01 Mar 2011

I've just checked in with NVIDIA regarding my display driver, again. That my PC is telling me it wants. This is what Nvidia says...

NVIDIA Driver Downloads:

Product Current:
Installed Driver is Latest Driver:
NVIDIA GeForce2 MX/MX 400 93.71

Your PC currently has the latest driver installed for your GPU. No driver update is necessary at this time.

So why is my PC saying it wants me it needs the latest Nvidia Display Driver and why is DriverMax concurring with my PC. Telling me, that there is indeed an update to the driver I have at present? Which is...
Nvidia: 6.14.11.6921
(Not digitally signed)
See above (3 posts up 'Bad to Worse')what happened when I installed the DriverMax 'Update'!?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Best of the Grad Shows 2017: UAL Central Saint Martins

MacBook Pro 15-inch (2017) review

Comment connecter un MacBook à une TV ?