Laserjet paper comes out curled-up

Mr Alien 14:26 04 Mar 2004

Hi,

I have just bought a kyocera 1020d, but whenever I print with card it comes out rolled up! (put flat on te ground, it is about 4 inches off the ground at each side).

I have tried the same card in my work's office Canon laserjet and it comes out nearly flat.

Kyocera tell me it is because I need to buy a special high quality card (despite that it is OK is some printers), and suggest that their printer ,ay be hotter or use more pressure than other laserjets.

Do any of you have any advise? I would return the printer and get another except I have thrown away the box. Or maybe all personal laserjets perform this way (as the printer which kept the card flat was an office printer).

Can you also recommend which is the best standard paper and best card (about 140-200 gsm) for using with laserjets, to avoid curling.

Thanks, James.

Diemmess 14:52 04 Mar 2004

I suspect that the amount of curl has more to do with the paper path shape within the printer, than the "fusing temperature" or paper quality.

Most ordinary paper tends to absorb atmospheric moisture and the final "ironing" will tend to shrink the surface closest to the heat.

This isn't doing much to help with your problem, but the curl on my Epson EPL5800 usually flattens out in a short time, thicker papers being the slowest to correct themselves, and if rested in a tidy stack they are flat when needed.

Edstow 15:04 04 Mar 2004

Some printers come with two paths for the feedstock. The one with less of a tortuous route is for both double sided printing and/or printing thicker paper and card.

Always try to "condition" the paper you use in any printer. Keep it in the same room, preferably near the printer it is to be used on, for several days before actually using it.

If the curl is really bad and the paper doesn't "relax" on standing, send it through the printer again the opposite way round. That should relieve and stress set up during the first pass through.

I'm fairly sure you will find that the curl does relax on standing for a time.

Ed

Mr Alien 15:05 04 Mar 2004

Thanks for the reply,

The paper path by default is in through the front (via a casette or tray) and out through the top (so that is a sideways U shape).

However I can open up the back which provides an entirly flat path through the printer, with no change in direction. However both paths curl the paper just the same.

I am therefore still puzzled as to why the same card is printed flat by another laserjet. I have read on the HP website that paper will roll if you print against the grain, and that some paper is designed to go through horizontally - and as most office printers print horizontally (including the one that prints my card flat), this could be the problem?

I have had my card pressed under 3 heavy books for 3 days, and they still have a lot of curl.

Also certain manufacturers (eg Epson, Canon, Hp, Xerox) recommend wghich paper to use with their printer. But because Kyocera don't make paper, they refuse to recommend a brand of paper. They simply tell you to try them all !!

Any advice on the right card for flat printing?

Thanks

Mr Alien 15:08 04 Mar 2004

The paper has been in the same room as the printer for 2 weeks.

Except, I have just taken a few sheets to work on my cold motorcycle and put it straight in the printer, and it came out flat.

I know this sounds silly, but maybe I should keep my paper in a cold place?

besuk 15:16 04 Mar 2004

Ever tried printing on already curled up paper, obviously feeding it into the printer in the opposite verse of the curling ?
Just wondering ...

Edstow 16:03 04 Mar 2004

If it works like that, do it!!:-)

There's no hard and fast rules about what to do in printing. I recall a long time ago at college with an old ribbon and pin hammer printer there was a bowl of water kept underneath the paper inlet supposedly to keep the ribbon flexible and the ink flowing. I don't really know what it did but the print was always better with the bowl of water present.

hector 911 16:11 04 Mar 2004

I know some paper / card sometimes has an arrow on the end indicating which side to be printed on first, and as the manufacturer states, fuser roller pressure is not allways the same on different makes of laser printers

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Evil Within 2 review-in-progress

InVision Studio takes on Adobe XD and Sketch

Camera tips to take better iPhone photos

Comment transformer un iPhone en borne Wi-Fi ?