larger hard drive - swap old lock stock to it?

pinkjune 13:39 17 Jul 2006

Hi,
My fujitsu D7820 has a 35gb hard drive which is 75% full and starting to get slow now. If I get a larger one, perhaps 60gb, will the laptop be ok with it because I've heard that some won't accept a gb size increase.
If this is ok with mine, how can I transfer everything, lock stock and barrel, to the new one? I have a Maxtor 160gb external drive, but my concern is that I have so many personal bits and pieces - registry settings, little bits all over here and there, etc, that I could loose out.
If I setup winxp on it can everything, (SP2 and all previous upgrades, other upgrades)go accross or do I have to download it all - that would take ages!!
Basically it needs a cut and paste!
June.

johndrew 14:28 17 Jul 2006

This laptop is the same as your I think and it has a 60GB drive so you should be able to upgrade click here

To transfer all your data, why not do a backup of your drive to the external drive and when you have your new drive fitted `repair` it.

You could also use Acronis True Image to make a mirror of your existing drive or to backup. Or after fitting the new drive install Windows (presumably XP) and then install your backup files over it.

If you use Acronis, don`t forget to make your Emergency Disk to be able to boot. If you use the Windows backup you will need to make the ASR disks and will need a floppy drive.

Hope this helps.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

11 best portfolio websites for designers and artists

Office for Mac buying guide: Price, Office 2017 rumours & new features

Comment désactiver les programmes qui s'exécutent au démarrage de Windows 10 ?