Large h/drives under FAT32

tiscalitrev 09:42 29 Jan 2006

Hi everyone,I have just built a second comp with a 40gb h/drive.I let windows xp format it on setup but the disk only shows as 20 gb. I am aware of the 32 gb limit but where does the 20 gb come from.I should add that on my main comp I have 80gb disk which shows as 80gb but I formatted that by booting to DOS with a floppy is that an accepted option.If I format to ntfs can I transfer files that have been produced under FAT32.Sorry about going on a bit,thanks.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 09:58 29 Jan 2006

C:\> CONVERT C: /fs:ntfs

Where C: is a name of the drive you want to convert.

After machine re-boot conversion process will start and you'll have your FAT32 converted to NTFS without of data loss.

20G drive
check your drive in disk manager what is it showing? is it partioned and xp has only formatted 1 partion?

What size is showing in BIOS?

tiscalitrev 10:17 29 Jan 2006

Hi Fruitbat Disk manager shows it as only one partition of 18.3gb. BIOS shows it as about 19 gb but I think when the info flashes up during POST the primary IDE shows as 39gb. What about reading files created on FAT32 if I convert to ntfs?? thanks

madPentium 11:26 29 Jan 2006

hard drive size limitation is usually associated with the bios. You say you recently built a second computer, but from what? how old is the motherboard? If it is OLD, it may only be able to address 20gig max, unless there is a bios update for it..

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?