Large HDD not fully recognised

beeuuem 15:53 06 May 2005

I have an old system which I need to use. The HDD failed and the full capacity of the new one is not recognised. The Hitachi 80Gb hard drive is shown as 32.248GB

Even with Google I haven't been able to find what the M/B and BIOS should be able to handle.

The M/B is a Tyan Trinity 400 model S1854 with Award bios v1.07 O/S is Win98SE

I have tried Maxblast and Hitachi tool v197 (disk manager) with no success.

Although 32Gb is enough for my needs the thought of 50Gb doing nothing is an annoyance

All ideas welcome.

gudgulf 16:02 06 May 2005

You are using the FAT32 file system......32GB is the maximum you can use with FAT32.Windows will prabably be set up on a 32GB partition because of that limitation.You could probably add a couple more partitions to the hard drive and get use of the full disc capacity that way.

dan11 16:04 06 May 2005

On top of the hard drive will be some jumper settings. Now one jumper setting may be for a " 32 gig limitation jumper" Check that jumper is not in place.

Technotiger 16:09 06 May 2005

Hi, 32 gig limitation jumper?? never heard of that one before?

Technotiger 16:13 06 May 2005

Hi, I think you need to reset the drive using Fdisk, with Fdisk you can set the drive to large, can't remember exact wording. But should become obvious during Fdisk setup.

Cheers.

Technotiger 16:15 06 May 2005

Me again - forgot to say, if you don't have Fdisk, just type Fdisk into Google or Ask Jeeves and you can get a free download.

Cheers.

dan11 16:22 06 May 2005

click here
click here=

"But that "DEVICE 1 (SLAVE)" jumper setting is for "32GB CLIP". Some computers (i.e., older computers) cannot use the whole 80GB and this jumper setting "clips" the hard drive down to a 32GB slave hard drive." hitatchi 80 gig hard drive click here

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 16:25 06 May 2005
  Fruit Bat /\0/\ 16:27 06 May 2005
  Technotiger 16:32 06 May 2005

Hi again , thanks to you both, for teaching me something which was new to me - now added to my personal knowledgebase. Never too old and all that.

Cheers.

dan11 16:54 06 May 2005

this from the full data manual from the hitachi website. It is for 2 and 3 disk hard drives, so it should cover 80 + 120 gig IDE drives.

It may not be your model, so check, but it does give you an idea of the jumper settings to look for.

With the 32 limitation jumper in place.click here

In the normal full capacity mode. click here

It MAY not be that, but it is the first thing you must check. Otherwise you would be running in circles. :-)

Fruit Bat /\0/
Some good links there.;-)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Evil Within 2 review-in-progress

Adobe shows still-in-development tools, including automatically colourising black-and-white photos

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment transformer un iPhone en borne Wi-Fi ?