Large fonts and error trying to restore

Teasle 13:12 15 Jan 2006

Can someone please advise me what steps to take next?
Yesterday when I accessed my emails, I had a message pop up which said that Outlook Express was not my default email, and would I like it to be. I said yes but then viewing my emails, I noticed that all my folders were at parent level and therefore many of my message rules did not now work. I corrected it all and ‘applied now’ but later when I checked my emails again, the folders and message rules had reverted back to being incorrect. Concerned that there was something infecting my PC causing this (and the original question about OE being default), I ran Ccleaner, Cleanup, Adaware, Spysweeper, Reg. Mechanic – nothing looked untoward. I have AVG installed on my PC to protect against viruses and I ran that again to be sure – nothing. I then decided to do a restore, which I did and then I went to bed.
Today when I switched on my computer I noticed that all my fonts are set to small although the settings still show ‘large’, but my email folders are ok now. I am still worried that I have something harmful in my computer so I tried to do another restore but this time it won’t let me. It says ‘system restore operation failed’.
Has anyone got any ideas why my PC is behaving like this and what I can do to get it working normally again? I use W98SE.
You help is very much appreciated.

palinka 17:03 15 Jan 2006

Though I can't help, this will bump your thread up to the top again. It sounds like malware to me. Suggest download and run a2 (A squared). WAS OE your default email originally?

Teasle 17:08 15 Jan 2006

Thanks palinka. I have a2 on my pc, I will run it now as well. Yes, OE has always been my default email. That's why I was so concerned about an infection when I first got the message.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?