Large fan, 4pin Molex, speed control?

Epirb406 17:50 07 Oct 2009

Hi All,

I am rather taken with this case in Maplins: click here

Real attraction is the huge fan, I shall be water cooling and not overclocking so all I need to do is keep fresh air going silently through the case.

The connection on the fan is a 4 pin molex, would I be able to step this down so I could connect it to a motherboard fan controller? I don't want it running willy-nilly but am concerned that the power draw in this size fan might be too much for a board connection.

Also let me know if you think there are better cases with this plain look that you recommend, only problem I can see with this one is that the front USBs are on the right and I would prefer them on the left.

Cheers all, Epirb.

I am Spartacus 18:14 07 Oct 2009

It'll probably use around 10W-12W. Your motherboard manual should give in indication as to whether this is OK. It's easy enough to wire a resistor into it to slow it down a bit though.

OTT_Buzzard 19:00 07 Oct 2009

I can't think of or find another case that even comes close to that price and has that size fan mounts.

Just one question though.....why are you watercooling if you're not overclocking?

There are far cheaper ways to make a PC quieter if that an issue to you.

Epirb406 19:07 07 Oct 2009

Hi,

I guess a resistor will slow it down but my understanding is that if it goes to a socket on the (As yet unbought) motherboard then it can be controlled by temperature sensors and turned off if the PC goes into stand by or is not required.

If it is just on the Molex straight to the PSU it will run all the time won't it?

Cheers, Epirb.

OTT_Buzzard 19:08 07 Oct 2009

That will only work if there is a PWM controller on the fan

Epirb406 19:09 07 Oct 2009

Hi OTT,

Long story but am kind of taken with water cooling, the project itself and keeping everything silent and temps way down low.

Cheers, Epirb.

woodchip 19:19 07 Oct 2009

Why a ten inch fan! goes beyond me. Does it need its own PSU!

woodchip 19:24 07 Oct 2009

Molex will be to connect direct to a spare one running from PSU.

You could reduce the size if you got some bits of old computer and used a soldering iron. but as you say I would think its too much for the board hence the Molex. Being that size I think it will run very slow, so it should be quiet is the little ones the sound like turbines

Epirb406 19:34 07 Oct 2009

Cheers for comments guys,

PWM controller?

Are my assumptions about standby correct?

All ears here!

Cheers, Epirb.

woodchip 19:36 07 Oct 2009

Maplins should have a controller that will work with it

I am Spartacus 20:07 07 Oct 2009

One of my systems has a large case side fan powered by molex with a resistor fitted to slow it down and it goes into standby with the rest of the system.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

AMD Ryzen news - release date, UK price, features and specifications

The 12 best apps for drawing and painting on your iPad

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment faire des captures d’écran sous Windows 10 ?