Large Blocks on DVD playback

Ram Rat 13:39 22 Oct 2010

When playing purchased DVD's either using Windows Media Centre, Windows Player or Real Player the video only shows large pixels and the picture impossible to view. The video card driver is up to date as well as the 2 DVD drives (both have the same problem) the DVD's will play on my others PC's.
I have checked on the region and both are fine. I have a Dell Dimension 9200 Nvidia GeForce 7900GS video card and running Vista Home Premium.

Ian in Northampton 17:43 22 Oct 2010

How is it with the audio track - and have you tried audio CDs? My first thought is that your drive may have slipped into PIO Mode only (do a search on the forum) meaning that data cannot transfer fast enough to display properly.

Ian in Northampton 17:44 22 Oct 2010

Sorry, I meant to say - if the audio track is fine and/or if audio CDs play OK, PIO Mode probably isn't your problem.

Ram Rat 18:46 22 Oct 2010

The sound is fine both on DVD and CD which I meant to mention. I did have trouble with the original DVD RW but a firmware sorted things out, the DVD ROM drive was added later..

MAT ALAN 18:52 22 Oct 2010

Have you expanded the player to full screen, or larger than the
default DVD image size (720x480 for NTSC and 720x576 for PAL)

Check the options under the play menu for video size, it should be set
to 100% and not to "resize player / video on start".

lotvic 20:20 22 Oct 2010

Probably not got the right codec's to play it properly.
Download the free standard K-Lite codec pack from click here
Install it saying next to every prompt you get.
This is a freely available set of codecs that will let you play DVD's and other file formats, eg. mkv, m4a, etc

or download and use free VLC player that has most of the codecs already.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone