laptop/wireless connection.

gengiscant 12:39 04 Jul 2009

Morning all,
Got my first laptop up and running,came with no hdd and needed more memory.Here are the specs:
click here

My question is do I need anything further to connect wirelessly to the internet,if so what or if not how do I go about it.
Xp the os fully up to date.

Cheers.

mgmcc 13:11 04 Jul 2009

The spec suggests that it doesn't have a built-in "Wireless Network Adapter" - its only "wireless" connectivity is an Infrared port with the option of installing a mini-PCI card to implement wireless LAN.

Your best bet would probably be to get a USB Wireless Network Adapter (dongle) and plug that in. Presumably you have a wireless network to connect to? If not, you would need to install a Wireless Router, the type of which depends whether you have ADSL broadband via the phone line or Virgin's Cable broadband.

gengiscant 13:19 04 Jul 2009

Thanks for that.
I'll go and have a look on ebay.

gengiscant 13:41 04 Jul 2009

I believe I could use a mini PCI card, is this correct?

mgmcc 15:05 04 Jul 2009

The spec says that, optionally, you can use a mini-PCI card. This would possibly necessitate opening up the laptop to install it. Don't confuse a mini-PCI card with a PCMCIA card, which is a card normally used with laptops, although your machine's spec makes no reference to having a PCMCIA slot.

gengiscant 15:35 04 Jul 2009

Is this the required PCMCIA slot?
[IMG]click here[/IMG]

mgmcc 17:07 04 Jul 2009

Yes, that is a PCMCIA slot. If you have one of these, you will be able to plug in a PCMCIA Wireless Network Adapter.

Strictly speaking, there are actually two standards:

"PCMCIA" which supports 16-bit cards

"CardBus" which supports 32-bit cards.

Unless the laptop is extremely old, it will be a 32-bit CardBus slot that you have and something like this would suit click here

The only point I would make is that with one of these, it can only be used in a Laptop. With a USB adapter, click here it could be plugged into *ANY* computer with a free USB port.

gengiscant 19:10 04 Jul 2009

Thanks for all your help.
I'll tick this as resolved.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Evil Within 2 review-in-progress

Adobe shows still-in-development tools, including automatically colourising black-and-white photos

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment transformer un iPhone en borne Wi-Fi ?