Laptops at University

  Jackcoms 09:26 10 Mar 2005

My elder daughter is planning to start uni in September and we are currently shopping around for a laptop.

The Uni she hopes to join provides BB connections in all the on-campus rooms.

The laptop we have in mind comes with an internal 100 Ethernet card.

Will this be all she needs to get online through the uni's BB connection or will she need an external BB modem?

  Diodorus Siculus 09:29 10 Mar 2005

That will be fine; she will need a cable (obviously!) but most universities have these available.

  TomJerry 09:49 10 Mar 2005

she does not need anything extra, BB in uni is not BB, it is "Super BB" because it is much much faster than any BB available to oridinary consumers.

  Graham ® 10:16 10 Mar 2005

Need taking care of or they will be spirited away! Carry in an old rucksack.

  Jackcoms 10:27 10 Mar 2005

Thanks very much to ALL of you!

I'm now up to speed (!!) on connecting to BB at uni and, Graham ®, we've also thought about security.

We're proposing to buy the Kensington security cable so that the lappie can be 'tied' to something solid in my daughter's room when she's not in the room!

She'll also be using a USB memory pen to back up her work (IF she remembers!). ;-)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment utiliser Live Photos ?