Laptop's HP Wireless Assistant will not work

wkrobi 19:19 22 Jan 2009

Our laptop got unplugged and we didn't know it, so the laptop hibernated. The laptop is set to hibernate when the battery is running out of power. When we woke-up the laptop we didn't have wireless internet. The light for the wireless stays red in the off or on position. We went to the HP Wireless Assistant in the control panel and the program won't open. When I click on it nothing happens.
We used system restore and restored the laptop to a previous time when the wireless internet was working and still not working.
I hard-wired my laptop to our router and downloaded the HP Wireless Assistant program. Then un-installed the HP Wireless Assistant and re-installed it. No luck.

Any ideas.

Thanks in advance,
Karen

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 19:28 22 Jan 2009

Go into Device manager and check for error codes against the wireless card.

laurie53 19:29 22 Jan 2009

My HP has a switch to switch Wireless Assistant on or off.

Do you have one, and if so has it been inadvertently operated?

birdface 19:33 22 Jan 2009

Just had a hard job getting my grandaughters to start.Have you got the Wireless switch turned on on the laptop.I found out one had a switch to turn it on and the other one you had to press two keys to start it.
As you can see I know not a lot about Wireless.just Trying to make sure you have it switched on.

birdface 19:34 22 Jan 2009

Oops.sorry you already tried that sorry.

wkrobi 19:42 22 Jan 2009

laurie53: Yes, the external switch is in the on position.

Fruit Bat: I don't see the wireless card in the Device Manager. Not sure what it would be under. Under Network adapters is, 1394 Net Adapter and NVIDIA nForce Networking Controller.

baldydave 19:50 22 Jan 2009

If there are no error codes in device manager and it says everything is enabled and ok it could be the wireless card has had it(had 2 hp laptops the same in the last 3 months both with the broadcom wireless chips)this is a common problem on hp laptops(google).As you say orange/red light says on when in the on and off positions.Hope it is just a driver or other issue,if under warranty return it.

baldydave 19:56 22 Jan 2009

Please see
click here

wkrobi 22:25 22 Jan 2009

Thank you everyone!
Well I called HP and they are going to repair my laptop for free. It is covered by "HP Limited Warranty Service Enhancement" because of the hardware issue.

HP has identified a hardware issue with certain HP Pavilion dv2000/dv6000/dv9000 and Compaq Presario V3000/V6000 series notebook PCs.

My wireless card issue is one of them.

Thanks again,
Karen

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Evil Within 2 review-in-progress

InVision Studio takes on Adobe XD and Sketch

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment transformer un iPhone en borne Wi-Fi ?