laptops on finance help...

nufc2009 10:12 08 Mar 2010

ok i have around £550 to put to a laptop, the laptops im after (i5, 17" 1600x900, 4gb ddr3 ram etc) are around £700 or so.

getting the rest of the money isnt really a problem, but to be honest i would rather not pay outright for one this time so i can put money to better use.

so ive been looking at the dell website and seen a couple of decent ones ive customised. They offer buy now pay next year (march 2011) which sounds ok, i dont mind getting one for around £900 this way.

The bit im not sure about is the apr, which is Typical APR of 29.9%. My understanding is as long as i pay it off in full before march 2011 then no interest (29.9%) is added to the balance? it doesnt say anything about 0% finance, so am i wrong and they would charge 29.9% apr straight away? If thats the case i may aswell just buy one with the cash as 29.9% is very high!

Alternatively if anyone can link me to some other interest free finance shops, or good spec laptops around £500-£700 i would appreciate that.

cheers

Technotiger 10:25 08 Mar 2010

Why put yourself in debt when you could get click here for far less. What will another 2-300 Quid get you over this, just slightly better specs - yes, but will you actually be able to do so much more for all that extra cash, apart from saddling yourself with debt! I don't know about APR's, as I never put myself in the position of having that to worry about.

lodger 10:45 08 Mar 2010

in this day and age it's wise to stay clear of the repo man , in fact it's always been wise to do so :)

nufc2009 12:26 08 Mar 2010

yeah ive never bought anything on finance, thought it would of been easier to spread the cost thats all.

Thats a good value/performance laptop Technotiger thanks for the link :)

Technotiger 12:31 08 Mar 2010

If I was in the market for a laptop, that is the one I would go for!

nufc2009 13:26 08 Mar 2010

on another day i would of snapped at that one, was looking for i5 for the multi-threading and ddr3 as im going to be using the laptop for intensive tasks.

just gonna have to up the budget i think and buy one at the weekend in cash.

cheers all anyway

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?