Laptops- can they run an extra monitor?

sheper00 11:06 01 Mar 2010

I have a Dell XPS M1710, and since im now working from home a lot more I want to run a second monitor to act s my main monitor as im finding the screen too small and awkward to work with
This is probly a dumb question as there are 2 video out sockets at the back, 1 is a dvi i think and the other a vga i think,

Do folks run extra monitors off laptops? Or will all that extra graphic processing end up killing my graphics card?

i wanted to now before i committed to getting one

keef66 11:11 01 Mar 2010

My work Lenovo does. Display settings need to be set up properly to allow it.

Have a look in your Dell manual, or give them a call

Border View 11:55 01 Mar 2010

I have my old 19" CRT monitor connected to my laptop and work between the two screens. No problems - have done so for about 2 years now.

peter99co 12:16 01 Mar 2010

If you connect to vga outlet to the vga monitor it might just need you to click function 5 and 6 keys.

peter99co 12:23 01 Mar 2010

I sometimes connect a laptop to a UMC LCD TV via its VGA input and select source VGA. Works well.

Many of the latest Flatscreen TV's have a VGA socket. I use a 23 inch on an old XP PC and when the computer is off it gives Freeview TV or DVD.

The component RGB sockets also allow a connection to a Wii.

highside 17:17 01 Mar 2010

I have a 17inch TFT connected all the time (for photography)to either of my two laptops an HP & a Samsung. Using VGA-VGA. When first connected you can select either TFT / laptop or both screens by holding fn key and pressing the screen key which in both my cases is on the top row it has a box shape with a screen picture inside.
Sometimes after changing you may have to reset the resolution by going into control panel 'Appearance and themes' Have win 7

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

Illustrator Sylvain Tegroeg created thousands of intricate line drawings for the mobile game…

Best iPad buying guide 2017

Comment télécharger une application indisponible en France ?