laptop/p.c connection... anyone!!!

llollipoppi 18:57 11 Sep 2006

Hi,

I am new to all this so I will try to provide as much info as possible and hopefully someone can talk me through this!

I am trying to link my laptop to my p.c using a belkin crossover cable so that I can transfers files and use the internet. Both are running on win xp and I have used the networking wizard but I must be goind wrong somewhere as still not working. The laptop has recognised the laptop as a network place but not the p.c and I honestly dont know what is going on with the p.c's network places as it has four places, only one of which I recognise - my internet connection!!! The other three are 1394 connection, Local Area Connection and Local Area Connection 2. So I dont know what one I should be using. Also when i reboot I get the message Local Area Connection, limited or no connectivity.

If there is anyone who can guide me through this mess, its really appreciated.

P.S Go easy on me i'm new at this!!!:)

spikeychris 19:27 11 Sep 2006

click here for all you need to know on how to work with an ad hoc network.

llollipoppi 19:31 11 Sep 2006

spikeychris 19:38 11 Sep 2006

Sorry ā€“ Iā€™m always working with wireless.

How does the machine that connects to the net connect? The LAN 2 will have been created with the wizard. I will assume you are BB and are using a USB modem as USB is very common with home networks.
1. Open the Network Connections
2. Right click the network connection ā€“ your LAN card.
3. Click Properties.
4. Double click "Internet Protocol (TCP/IP).
5. Click "Use the following IP address".
6. Enter IP address 192.168.0.1 on the machine that connects to the net.
7. Enter subnet mask 255.255.255.0.
Do the same on the other machine but in the IP address type 192.168.0.2 and in the gateway field type 192.168.0.1 (the IP of the other machine)

llollipoppi 19:51 11 Sep 2006

Hi,

That has worked and I also pinged both of them, the laptop is talkin to the p.c and I can get files from it but when I pinged the laptop from the p.c I just get request timed out?

spikeychris 20:38 11 Sep 2006

Are all firewalls disabled?

jarani 22:09 11 Sep 2006

a usefull link - jarani

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?