laptop/notebook for skype

Penny101 08:16 01 May 2012

I need a laptop or notebook to give lessons online using Skype (or similar) and a webcam. The most important things for me is that it is basic, easy to use and above all reliable. I will need: Good internet connection; HD webcam (in-built?; Qwerty keyboard, number pad, mouse; Basic Word and Excel for reports and accounts etc; USB; Pref DVD and Android.

NOT for gaming, Facebook etc, films or videos

Any ideas? Thanks

Woolwell 11:44 01 May 2012

DVD will only be available on a netbook via an external drive. Limited choice if you want android too.

Budget?

Penny101 16:16 01 May 2012

Hello,

Not too bothered about DVD or Android. Most important is what's above that.

Budget up to about 700 pounds.

ams4127 16:33 01 May 2012

Probably your best bet would be to drop into your nearest branch of PC World/Currys/Dixons etc. and just have a look.

Most netbooks/laptops these days will come with a webcam built into the bezel above the screen. With your budget, you should also be able to afford MS Office (Home) or go for Openoffice/Libreoffice (both free) which are compatable with MS.

Do get Windows 7 - forget Android.

onthelimit1 17:42 01 May 2012

If you have children in the family, you can get Office at a very reasonable price from software4students. For what you want to do, any of the sub £500 laptops would be fine. Personally I'd avoid PC World and Currys to buy from, and stick with John Lewis or Amazon.

Penny101 18:43 01 May 2012

Thank you for your helpful suggestions.

I noticed after I posted my question that there was a section for Absolute Beginners (which would have been much more appropriate!) so thanks too for taking the trouble to reply to such a basic question.

Cheers

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

Awful clip art from 1994 is being tweeted every hour by a bot

iPhone X vs Samsung Galaxy Note 8

Les meilleurs navigateurs internet 2017