laptop won't work with battery??!

stevo28 16:14 06 Dec 2007

hi folks,

i recently purchased an acer aspire 3662wlmi with prior knowledge that the laptop had a battery issue.

The laptop won't operate with the battery only, ac power is needed; the battery charge orange led stays lit for a few mins and begins to blink and does so continuously. When restarting from windows desktop, it shuts down doesn't restart; then the power button needs pressing about five times in order to power up. I have tried using another battery and power supply but the same symptoms occur.

From what i can tell all power options are at default and don't think there is a standby , hibernate conflict. Any ideas as to what could be the prob would be much appreciated. Many thanks!

rossgolf 17:03 06 Dec 2007

take it to a laptop repair centre or local pc shop and let them try a different psu

stevo28 18:50 21 Dec 2007

hi,

I contacted Acer and they will collect, diagnose and return the unit for £40, not a bad price repair could add a few pounds; will post the outcome in the new year.

Acer support btw answered emails in reasonable time, telephone support staff were helpful and polite.

Gordal 20:12 21 Dec 2007

It seems that a Green tick is appropriate ?

woodchip 20:20 21 Dec 2007

You need a new Battery it's shorted out internally

stevo28 21:30 21 Dec 2007

thanks guys;

the laptop requires two presses of the power button to startup, and five after a restart; anyone had similar symptoms with a laptop?

stevo28 20:21 26 Dec 2007

any Acer laptop users out there who've had similar fault with their laptop, & the cost of repair or d.i.y fixes, thanks

stevo28 19:45 11 Feb 2008

any Acer laptop users out there who've had similar fault with their laptop, & any ideas of the cost of repair or d.i.y fixes, much appreciated

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone