Laptop won't switch on or off

s99Raj 17:00 07 Jan 2010

I have an Advent laptop which I can't switch on or off.

Either on mains or battery, when I press the power button three lights come on : Wireless, Num Lock and Shift Lock.

They stay on no matter what and holding down the Power button has no effect.

Sometimes after about two hours the laptop automatically comes on and I can use it like normal but when I go to Shut Down, it shuts down but leaves the three lights on as above.

Any ideas please? Thank you.

s99Raj 17:15 07 Jan 2010

Yes, I did.
Thank you.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 17:31 07 Jan 2010

Sounds like problems finding boot up files

BAck everything up next time you get it booted nd then try a recovery
Advent full recovery procedure
1.Turn on the PC.
2.Just after the first screen appears (the logo screen), press the F10(F11) key repeatedly until a recovery menu appears.
3.Select one of the following procedures, depending on which recovery type you want to perform:
To perform a standard system recovery, click Next, and then click Yes
To perform a destructive recovery, click Advanced, (select Destructive Recovery) and then click Next.
CAUTION: A destructive recovery will format the hard drive. This will delete all the information on the hard drive and reinstall Windows and the original software that came with the computer.
4.Read and respond to each window and screen that appears.
After the System Recovery is complete, the PC restarts and continues into Windows setup. Complete the setup screens and wait until the computer finishes the setup.

s99Raj 17:35 07 Jan 2010

Thank you Fruit Bat.

I'm waiting for it to turn itself on.
Then I'll try a destructive recovery, since all files have been backed up.

s99Raj 23:46 07 Jan 2010

Well, I've left it for nearly 12 hours now and it hasn't switched itself on, as it did yesterday.
Just the three lights mentioned above are still solid.

Maybe the motherboard is gone ??

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 09:49 08 Jan 2010

pull the mains cable and disconnect battery

kalignorgna 11:36 08 Jan 2010

take the battety out and leave it for 5 to 10 minites the put the battery back in power on the laptop and tap F1,F2 or Delete to get into the BIOS and reset the CMOS then save settings and exit.

woodchip 11:57 08 Jan 2010

Try the Windows Help Troubleshooting under Startup

s99Raj 13:10 08 Jan 2010

I've tried pulling the mains cable and the battery out but still get the same problem. Even after I've left the battery out overnight. Pressing any key has no effect. I can't even hear the hard drive starting up.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 13:25 08 Jan 2010

Pulling mains and battery is to fully shut it down

reboot and follow the prompts to do a full restore and then on completion see if it will shut down and reboot ok.

s99Raj 13:29 08 Jan 2010

I did that Fruit Bat but when I try to reboot I just get the three lights coming on and staying on.
I can't hear the hard drive whirring.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

Awful clip art from 1994 is being tweeted every hour by a bot

iPhone X vs Samsung Galaxy Note 8

Les meilleurs navigateurs internet 2017