LAPTOP WON'T START

Dusty330 21:19 22 Nov 2003

I've just bought a 2nd hand laptop. Physically in mint condition, but when switched on it appears to boot up but, after the Windows window appears momentarily the following comes up on a grey screen:

Microsoft (R) Windows 98

C:\>

I have no idea what command to give it. The seller says he does not have the command prompts, but that it should be straightforward to "replace the link and bring the operating menu back".

Can somebody explain in words of one syllable please, and how worried should I be?

beeuuem 21:33 22 Nov 2003

type in 'dir' at the C:\ prompt and see if anything comes up. This will display any files and directories on the drive

woodchip 21:36 22 Nov 2003

will it start by pressing f8 and choosing safe mode

Dusty330 21:54 22 Nov 2003

Woodchip - no, nothing at all happens when I press F8.
But beeuuem, there is a reaction when I enter "dir". The following legend comes up (though I'm afraid it means nothing to me!)

Volume in drive C has no label
Volume serial number is.........
Directory of C:COMMAND COM 93880 05.11.98 8.01p
1 file(s) 93,880 bytes
0 dir(s) 4,284,846,080 bytes free

C:\>

woodchip 21:56 22 Nov 2003

are you pressing f8 as the comp starts up? you have to keep pressing until list comes up

Dusty330 22:02 22 Nov 2003

Sorry woodchip, I should have known that. Have done it now and selected safe mode. The Windows screen comes up briefly but then I get a message "Windows is bypassing your starting files", followed again by the prompt C:\> Is this something to go on?

woodchip 22:12 22 Nov 2003

if it does not go into safe mode choose to start by selective startup it allows for drivers to load one at a time, it will stop on the one that is the problem. so the next time you run it choose not to load that driver. it is trial and error job. Or if you can get to the C:\ prompt OK as it looks like you can try typing SCANREG/RESTORE so that it looks like this

C:\SCANREG/RESTORE if you get a list choose the oldest date with arrow keys and press enter

andrew-216448 22:16 22 Nov 2003

are u sure that there is an operating system installed in ur laptop?

woodchip 22:17 22 Nov 2003

Can you connect to a Normal monitor on some Laptops you can or to TV you should then be able to save to CDR

woodchip 22:19 22 Nov 2003

Sorry the last post should be to a different thread

Dusty330 22:22 22 Nov 2003

Thanks again woodchip. Tried SCANREG/RESTORE, but it brings up "bad command or file name"

Sorry to be cautious, but the nearest menu item to selective startup is "step by step confirmation". Will that do the job you envisage?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

See mcbess's iconic style animated for Mercedes-Benz

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Black Friday 2017 : date, sites participants & bonnes affaires