Laptop Won't Format

richcarr 21:17 24 Nov 2008

I tried formatting my hardrive using a manufactors recovery disc but now I get to the screen after the bios options and it displays "BOOTMGR Missing". Ive tried using a windows xp disc to format but this reads "Setup did not find any hard drives installed in your computer. Make sure any hard disk drives are powered on and properly connected".

Would appreciate any help with this

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 21:32 24 Nov 2008
  richcarr 21:56 24 Nov 2008

I downloaded the ISO file and burnt it to a cd but it doesnt run.

DieSse 22:29 24 Nov 2008

If an XP CD reports it cannot find any drives, I think you have a very basic and severe problem.

Look in the BIOS to see what it says about hard drives - does it report any?

Also at this stage I think we need to know lots more about your hardware

General age of it

Laptop or Desktop - + make and model

Type of hard drives

Etc.

DieSse 22:30 24 Nov 2008

Can you also let us know what prompted you to try formatting the hard drive in the first place?

DieSse 22:32 24 Nov 2008

Missing hard drives can be caused by

Faulty hard drive

Faulty cables/connectors

Mis-set BIOS

Faulty Motherboard (least likely).

richcarr 18:11 25 Nov 2008

Hi,

Its a Gateway Laptop MX6921B, approx two years old. The CPU is a 1.8GHz Intel. I have gone into the BIOS settings and it does state there is a hardrive on the boot tab. I tried formatting the hardrive because it was infected with quite a few trojans.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 18:37 25 Nov 2008

Does the BIOS auto detect the drive?

If so and WIndows CD cannot see, then Master boot Record is corrupt

DieSse 22:06 25 Nov 2008

If you want to wipe the drive totally clean, and return to "as new from the factory" - download and run Killdisk

click here

Then you can try the Windows CD again and see if it can find it.

DieSse 22:09 25 Nov 2008

Or if you first want to try rewriting the MBR - this MS support page tells you how - see rewrite MBR from XP CD section

click here

woodchip 23:27 25 Nov 2008

If you have set it somehow to format, and its Sata drives the Drive will not be seen without drivers are loaded for the drive. A Restore disc is just that. To put it back to when you bought the comp state. It not a full operating system disc. Plus Format cannot be done in windows on a OS partition thats running

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Acer Predator 21X review

These hilarious robot GIFs will be sure to make you smile

Best podcast apps for iPhone & iPad

Nokia 8 : design, caractéristiques techniques, date de sortie