Laptop Won't connect to Internet through LAN

wilf o'reilly 19:39 02 Apr 2006

hi i have a wired LAN which works fine. 2 Win XP Home PC's in my office conect to the internet through a broadband connection on a Win XP Home PC in the house. (this PC runs MS XP Firewall)

The problem is that when i connect my Laptop, it cannot open web pages/connetc to the web. the weird thing is it opens Google and will open google queries, but will not open any other pages!!!

it used to work fine and i don't believe i've changed any settings on the LAN or with any of the Desktop's.

The Laptop will open web pages if i shut down the Firewall on the 'broadband' PC, but none of my Office Desktops need this to be done (and yet they run the same software with the same settings!!!!)

weird

anyone got any ideas

cheers

the bradband connection comes through a Win XP PC

LastChip 21:00 02 Apr 2006

Are you running a firewall on the laptop?

If you are, and close it down, what's the result?

wilf o'reilly 22:28 02 Apr 2006

hi lastchip

no, the laptop isn't running a firewall - only the main Desktop which connects the LAN to the internet has a firewall running- this has to be disocnnected for the laptop to work!

weird!

LastChip 00:31 03 Apr 2006

It may just be possible that your winsock files and or registry has become corrupted, although the fact that you can access Google, is somewhat of a mystery.

I suggest you click here and follow the suggested test. If you do indeed get an error message, then running winsock fix may cure the problem.

Have a read and see what you think.

wilf o'reilly 09:24 03 Apr 2006

nope, i'd already tried ipconfig and it was OK - no error.

how wierd is this!

cheers

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

30 UK artists have created vibrant posters celebrating Pride London

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment connecter un MacBook à une TV ?