Laptop won't connect to internet

exdragon 12:55 16 Jul 2014
Answered

Hi - I have a problem with my laptop and it's connection to the internet. It was fine up until a couple of hours ago but since then, won't connect. My tablet is fine, as is my partner's laptop and tablet.

Following the troubleshooting suggestions, it comes up with 'problem with wireless adapter or access point'. I've checked the router's security key and have rebooted.

Looking on Google, most of the answers seem to say uninstall and reinstall something, but bearing in mind that the laptop won't connect to the internet, it doesn't seem a very practical solution. Any idea what I do next, please?

Ian in Northampton 13:02 16 Jul 2014

Can you establish whether your laptop is connected to your router? It's possible for you to be connected to the router, but not from the router to the internet. If you're connecting via wifi, look in your system tray (bottom right) and there should be a series of bars telling you the strength of your wifi connection. If you click on that icon, it will take you through to the network and sharing centre. What does that show you?

AroundAgain 13:48 16 Jul 2014

Duplicate thread

Link to duplicate thread

Liteman 13:53 16 Jul 2014

Sorry - I didn't realise it had posted twice.

Liteman 14:00 16 Jul 2014

Change of name, it's still exdragon, using my other half's laptop. I tried replying to Ian, but was told I couldn't post 2 threads in 60 minutes.

Anyway, I don't seem to be connected to the router: the Network and sharing centre just shows my computer and internet with a red cross in between. The signal strength is excellent. When I select Connect to a network, I simply get taken to the Network and sharing centre again and off I go, round in circles.

Following the troubleshooting suggestions, it comes up with 'problem with wireless adapter or access point'. I've checked the router's security key and have rebooted.

BillSers 14:50 16 Jul 2014

Have a poke around in control panel/network and sharing/manage wireless connections/adapter properties... you may have to configure.

Ian in Northampton 15:43 16 Jul 2014

Have you tried Windows "repair this network connection" feature?

exdragon 15:55 16 Jul 2014
Answer

I don't believe this - it's back again. I HATE COMPUTERS! But thank you for your suggestions.

wee eddie 16:03 16 Jul 2014

Sometimes, rebooting all and sundry, does the trick

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Microsoft Paint set to die after 32 years

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment désactiver la saisie intuitive et paramétrer votre clavier ?