Laptop wont connect

alltime 19:10 31 May 2005

I am running win Xp home on the main pc and on the laptop. I have a US robotics ADSL USB Modem. (not router)I have just purchased a Fast cat e Ethernet RJ45 Male/male cable. Spent over 1 hr with bt tring to get the laptop connected to the internet with this cable connected to pc and laptop. And all i Get is error code 680 no dial tone. Im sure the you experts can crack it.

Dipso 21:37 31 May 2005

Do you have a crossover cable as you need this to share your internet access with another machine. click here for the difference

Dipso 21:40 31 May 2005

click here and click on "How to identify an RJ45 cable"

alltime 22:26 31 May 2005

The cable is a Belkin FastCat5e Networking Cable Ethernet Cable RJ45 male/male Straight.
Do i need cards for the pc and laptop, Could this be the problem?

Technotiger 22:52 31 May 2005

Hi, try this - might work - I said, might work!!

click here

Cheers

Dipso 23:01 31 May 2005

You have a straight cable, you need a crossover cable. Straight are for use with a router or a modem that connects to your PC via ethernet. Crossover is required for Internet Connection Sharing (ICS) which is what you are trying to do. click here

You already have the required cards for both machines.

Dipso 23:10 31 May 2005

Something like this click here

alltime 00:40 05 Jun 2005

Thanks for the responses to you all. Ill go back to my original problem, the idiot in the shop sold me the wrong cable an rj 45 patch straight not a crossover. Anyway why i was down there i decided to buy a wireless set up Belkin Modem router with the pc card. I got the new modem router installed and card and thats when the present problem started. with all of your help ive now got it up and running but have had to turn off the WPA-PSK security because when you turn the laptop off and on again and it searches for the wireless network it cant seem to reastablish the ip and proxy settings with the WPA on. I have a tick in the box for Automatic detect settings, and use a proxy server box but that needs an address and port. Any ideas where i can find these. Nearly There !!!!

Taff36 08:53 05 Jun 2005

Use a proxy server box doesn`t seem right to me but I`m struggling between your two posts to know where you`re up to. See my suggestion on your other thread. click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?