Laptop won't boot

c4rm0 19:53 25 Nov 2010

Just Working on a fujitsu laptop and it gets to the XP splash screen and turns itself off completely screen turns off and you have to press the power button to get it back on. I have tried safe mode and last known good config and it does same thing. I have ran a memory test and it was all clear and also ran a chkdsk via hirens boot cd. I was gonna try to do a windows xp repair via the cd but it throws up a error message saying it can't detect any hard disks I'm guessing this is because I need the Sata storage drivers. The Hdd is listed in the bios and smart doesn't report any issues with the drive

Any ideas ?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 21:18 25 Nov 2010

"I was gonna try to do a windows xp repair via the cd but it throws up a error message saying it can't detect any hard disks I'm guessing this is because I need the Sata storage drivers"

Yes doing a repair is probably a good option, will it boot to safe mode and allow you to do a system restore or Last Known Good configuration?

mgmcc 21:21 25 Nov 2010

Is the drive type - SATA or IDE - set correctly in the BIOS?

I have XP installed in an Acer Revo "Net-top" which has a SATA drive, but it has to be set as IDE in the BIOS or it fails to boot after the XP 'splash' screen (because I installed XP without SATA drivers).

c4rm0 09:31 26 Nov 2010

Hi Fruitbat thanks for the reply i am unable to boot into safe mode or last known good config as it Turns itself off just after the XP Splash screen. I also tried VGA Mode same thing

I would do the windows XP repair but as i said the Windows install doesnt detect any hard drives and Exit's. Most of the time i have seen this error its because you need the SATA Storage drivers on a floppy ect always used to happen when Win XP 1st came out

mgmcc - The HDD is a sata drive and ive set it to auto detect in the Bios and the BIOS detects it fine. I will try to set it to IDE and give that a try

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 15:56 26 Nov 2010

Tapping F8 on boot should bring up the menus BEFORE the splash screen.

c4rm0 08:50 27 Nov 2010

Fruitbat i think we are mis-understanding each other :)

I have tried Safe Mode and it does the exact same thing as when booting normally it gets to the XP splash screen and turns off

I have managed to get the XP setup CD to see the HDD now by disabling AHCI in the bios. I have ran fixboot and a fixmbr in the recovery console and also a chkdsk but still wont boot and turns itself off. I also tried a XP Repair installation but it doesnt allow me to do it will only let me do a new installation

I have used ERD commander and tried using a system restore point and it now just sits on a black Bios screen with the error

A Disk Read error ocured press ctrl alt del to reboot

Think i am just gonna stick the HDD in a caddy and back up the data and reinstall windows

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?