Laptop wont boot up

mikel1878 12:22 21 Nov 2009

My sister in law has bought a new laptop because the old one died. She has asked me if I can get the files from the old one to put on the new one.
When I turn the laptop on, the Compaq logo comes up, the message 'F12= Network Service Boot', then 1Initialising Intel Boot Agent Version 2.6 (build 004' then the screen goes blank with the cursor blinking in the top left corner. There is no response to any key being pressed from this point on. I rebooted got into the blue 'computer setup' screen. Is this whats called safe mode? Anyway, the "quickboot is enabled and the multiboot is disabled. The boot order is - hard drive first; multibay second; and ethernet third. All other settings appear OK. Can anyone advise how to get it to complete the boot up or how to get the files off for transferring? All help will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Mike

johndrew 12:29 21 Nov 2009

Perhaps you should consider removing the old HDD from the laptop, install it in a caddy and use it as an external HDD on the new laptop. Hopefully all available files with then be visible.

mikel1878 12:33 21 Nov 2009

johndrew

sounds like too much trouble. Not worth the cost of buying a caddy. BUt thanks for the suggestion.
Mike

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 13:19 21 Nov 2009

With a samall amount of effort.

Looks like some thing's causing the machine to stop booting at the point where it would normally load Windows off the hard disk. Could be anything from a dodgy connection to a blown hard disk.

First of all try removing the hard drive and refitting it to remake the connections.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone