Laptop Wont Boot

yofter 21:02 28 Dec 2007

Ihave recently been given a Sony VAIO PCG-8H1M Laptop GRX-616SP. The problem I have is that it wont boot from the dvd drive, meaning i cant use my recovery discs or XP home discs,or boot in any configuaration, safe mode last known etc. It will get as far as the windows logo on first attempt then when i try safe mode etc it will get as far as drivers listings than hangs. Any help would be gratefully recived.

recap 21:07 28 Dec 2007

Will it boot in to the config of the system to run the diagnostics? This could either be F2, F10 or F12 depending on the system configuration.

Fraser257 21:42 28 Dec 2007

If it doesn't boot from the DVD drive, you ,might have the BIOS set to boot from the hard drive. Try changing the settings in the BIOS so that the laptop attempts to boot from the DVD drive first. If that works, try your discs again.

yofter 16:18 29 Dec 2007

have tried boot to config of system and changed the BIOS to boot from dvd. Still no joy. Have tried reseating the HDD no joy. short of a new HDD i'm stumped!

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 16:27 29 Dec 2007

Set BIOS to boot from DVD as ist device and make sure no other devices are enable as boot devices.
SAVE and EXIT (F10)

watch screen as boots with CD for message "Press any Key"

What sort of Disk are you trying to boot from?

yofter 18:58 29 Dec 2007

Trying to boot from the recovery discs. Set BIOS to boot from DVD but keeps coming back to the windows didnot load sucessfully screen. With the usual options last known config etc.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 19:03 29 Dec 2007

BIOS is not saving the 1st boot device as DVD drive.

reset the BIOS by removing CMOS battery for a few minutes and retry to set DVD drive as first boot device.

yofter 19:06 29 Dec 2007

Thanks for that. I shall give that a go and let you know how I get on.

yofter 20:16 29 Dec 2007

Well that sort of worked. Managed to boot from dvd on second attempt but not with the recovery discs, which lead me to belive they are corrupt or not configured properly. Put xp home disc in and it got as far as searching for previous windows then just hangs! Now I am completely stumped

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 20:25 29 Dec 2007

Do you know what op system was installed? XP home or PRo

Do you have a sticker with the XP number on the laptop.

If home then you can use your disk to reinstall from fresh (format the partition) using your CD and the number on the laptop.

yofter 20:32 29 Dec 2007

It was xp home and it does have the number on laptop trying to install but it still searching for previous windows installastions.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?